Author Topic: LinkStation Pro Duo as basic, non-RAID drives?  (Read 2989 times)

rwhapham

• Calf
LinkStation Pro Duo as basic, non-RAID drives?
« on: November 21, 2008, 02:36:48 PM »

I'm considering purchasing the LinkStation Pro Duo but was wondering if it is possible to configure the drives as independent (non-RAID, or RAID-0 on each individual drive)?  I would like to use one of the drives for shared storage and the other for networked backups.  Obviously, I don't want my backup data to be striped across two drives; that kind of defeats the purpose.  From what I can tell in the user manual, the unit either needs to be striped or mirrored, but I thought I'd ask here first before crossing it off of my list.  As always, thanks in advance.

Message Edited by rwhapham on 11-21-2008 02:45 PM

Dan_C

• Calf
Re: LinkStation Pro Duo as basic, non-RAID drives?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 03:38:55 PM »
The Linkstation Pro Duo does have options in the raid array configuration for RAID0. Also, this might be something you want to check in the web interface, but the Pro Duo usually by default is configured in RAID0.

rwhapham

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 03:45:43 PM »
   Thanks, but to be more specific, it would either need to support independend RAID-0 configurations on each drive, or basic (non-RAID) configuration.  Most of the time RAID-0 is used to stripe across multiple drives, but it can be used on a single drive (though it doesn't do anything special).  I guess the question is really: am I stuck with configuration as a single drive, or can I get two individual drives?

Dan_C

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 04:55:19 PM »
Unfortunately the Terastation series is the only device that allows araid JBOD status. The linkstastion pro duo's raid0 does not operate inthe traditional JBOD sense.