Author Topic: Assigning rights to folders on Linkstation pro duo  (Read 4832 times)

jgas

• Calf
Assigning rights to folders on Linkstation pro duo
« on: November 21, 2008, 05:01:13 AM »

hi there,

I have a new Linkstation that i have added to our AD. Adding it to the domain was not an issue, assigning rights to the folders is. The Linkstation is unable to process AD account information, and only allows me to play with local accounts. The message under Domain user list (on the user management tab) is Cannot obtain. If I connect to the shared folders on the unc path from Windows explorer I can assign rights as I wish, but pushing the apply or ok button makes all my changes disappear. What gives?

Thanks for any ideas / suggestions.

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Assigning rights to folders on Linkstation pro duo
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 05:46:02 PM »
If you log into the ls under the IP address of the NAS you should be able to pull the user list of the ad server. If you can not please set the unit back to factory defaults with in the web browser and fix the time and add the unit back to your AD.

jgas

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 02:04:57 AM »

Hi,

Thanks for the tip. I have set the NTP server entry to point to one of the DC's in our domain. (I did that before I added the LS to the domain).  So the time is correct. Our AD is pretty huge, and I am wondering if there is a limitation on the Linkstation (how deep it can browse). Maybe I should specify an OU where it should look for the users. (As I am not interested in browsing for users from the other side of the globe).

What do you think?

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 08:52:01 AM »

The unit will pull up to 1000 users.  I have seen in many cases all the settings are correct, however the unit will not join, try the reset from the web GUI, and make sure you have the latest firmware.

also follow this link for better directions. 

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&message.id=813&query.id=13952#M813

jgas

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 05:35:31 AM »

Thanks for the link. I wonder if it is possible to specify the OU that it pulls the users from?

Maybe in the DNS/REALM section? I just do not know the syntax to use to specify which part of AD it should look for the users in. Our AD has approximately 40 000 users, so specifying only the AD name kinda overwhelms the NAS (I think).  Any ideas?

Thanks.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 09:43:07 AM »
How many do you have to connect?  You can always delegate authority to the AD server and have your users map one time to the hidden share.  If you are connecting a lot of users a login script with this approach would be more efficient.

jgas

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 12:00:31 AM »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the tip. I will give that a go.