Author Topic: Really strange issue with DriveStation - Help Please!  (Read 1230 times)

alunallcock

• Calf
Really strange issue with DriveStation - Help Please!
« on: February 12, 2010, 01:59:20 PM »

HI,

First of all this is my setup

• iMac 27" (latest version with Snow Leopard)
  • MacBook Pro (Snow Leopard)
  • Buffalo Nas Drive 2TB set up as a RAID - both the iMac and the MacBook connect to this wirelessly
  • trying to add a new Buffalo Drive Station Duo 2TB set up as a RAID

This is my issue:-

I want to connect the DriveSation Duo directly into the back of the iMac using a Firewire 800 cable as a further backup for photos.

When i connect to the iMac, the drive isn't recognised using either the firewire or usb cable options. When i set the toggle switch to "auto" the drive switches off, in "manual" it powers on

When i connect it to the MacBook everything works fine!

Apple Disk Utility doesn't see the drive on the iMac but does on the MacBook.

The only other things that are connected into the iMac are a card reader and a tablet, both of which are effectively "sleeping"

I've searched thru this forum and can't see any pointers as to whats happening here and how I resolve it.

Thanks in advance of any replies

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: Really strange issue with DriveStation - Help Please!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 04:15:18 PM »

Considering that when the device is in AUTO mode and powers off the only thing I can think of is that the port isn't sending a signal to the drive to stay on (i.e. bad port).  However, the fact you tried it with firewire as well defeats that prognosis.  Give me a little time to check into this problem and I will post back a solution as soon as I can.  Thank you for your continued patience.