Author Topic: "Survey" - What's more important? Active Directory or FTP?  (Read 1895 times)

TedZeck

• Calf
"Survey" - What's more important? Active Directory or FTP?
« on: February 12, 2010, 08:54:44 AM »

Some Buffalo techs say the choice between AD and FTP will be addressed and others say it's either/or forever.

Before I roll out our new TeraStation III to the unwashed masses, I must decide between AD and FTP.  I'm already compromising SOX (Sarbanes-Oxley) by implementing Web Access (unless I manually change 50 local user passwords every 90 days), because although Web Access can coexist with AD, it can't use AD users and groups.  (But at least Web Access will ignore AD and use local users and groups!)

But, FTP acts like a spoiled brat:  "If AD is invited, I'm not coming to the party...even if all my local users are there."

So, I have a decision.  Should I use AD and Web Access OR FTP and Web Access?

AD allows me to map folders on workstations and our in-house domain users may use good ol' My Computer and Windows Explorer...and our remote domain users may do the same via VPN.

FTP, to me, is just another form of Web Access, but I would be able to allow or not allow FTP on a folder-by-folder basis.

I'm leaning toward AD and Web Access, so "hit me with your best shot...FIRE AWAY!"

Thanks!

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: "Survey" - What's more important? Active Directory or FTP?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 03:46:08 PM »

True that Web Access takes the headache out of having to locate another pesky public IP whereas FTP you would need to have a static public IP.  Problem with Web Access is that if the server (for Web Access) goes down then you would have to rely on another means such as FTP.  AD and Web Access might be your best option and you can allow or not allow Web Access on a folder by folder basis (i.e. on the root directory level of the NAS).  All you have to do is go to the Web Access Folder setup area and make sure it has inherited folder permissions (or whichever restrictions you choose) or is completely denied of Web Access.

TedZeck

• Calf
Re: "Survey" - What's more important? Active Directory or FTP?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 11:34:09 AM »

That's right - forgot about that on Web Access - just deny completely.

I guess I will go with Web Access - now the decision is whether to have an unsecured connection warning or a bad ssl warning.  I've given up trying to make the included secure certificate work.