Author Topic: Why is the Linkstation Live so slow at writing files?  (Read 5895 times)

kingaaa

• Calf
Why is the Linkstation Live so slow at writing files?
« on: November 20, 2008, 05:07:42 AM »
   I just copied 400gb of movies and tv programmes onto my linkstation which seemed to take forever,but now because of the file reading system I have to move them from one folder on the linkstation to another folder on the linkstation - but its taking forever! honestly, its taking 20 minutes for 1 file to transfer from one folder to the other, and they're on the same drive? If you did this with any other drive (onboard or external) on my pc the transfer is instantaneous - This is my first experience with buffalo products but I've got to tell you, I'm not impressed!

kingaaa

• Calf
Re: Why is the Linkstation Live so slow at writing files?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 12:11:30 PM »
   Its now 7 hours since I started moving these files, and the transfer information box is thelling me it will be another 186 minutes for one of the 2 folders left, and 256 minutes for the other.This cant be right, is it?

bens

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 02:51:38 AM »

Unfortunately I think it is...

Yesterday I copy 100 gb and it "just" took me more than 600 minutes !!!

The worst thing are the small files.

Transfer rate is around 11 500 Ko/s which is not really the specifications of Buffalo.

I hope a firmware is going to change that because otherwise I'm satisfied with this product.

PS : My network is in 1000 Gigabit

analog

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 03:25:24 AM »
   I'm on a terastation live and it too is painfully slow. I'm waiting for 231 megs to copy now and it's saying 17 hours. That's more than likely bogus - it will probably speed up in a minute but this is typical of the inconsistencies. Yes as I thought it's just completed in a few seconds. I had to move quite a few gigs yesterday and basically it took all day. What I've found though is that if you copy a large amount of data at once things get really really slow. But copy small (like 50-100 meg) chunks and it zips along - for a terastation anyway. Hardly ideal. I suspect it's something to do with RAID allocation but I'm on Vista 64 and that doesn't help with anything network related. Oh and now the terastation is 'not responding' in Windows explorer. Oh the hours I waste sorting this stuff out. Good luck guys. We need it.

analog

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 04:10:40 AM »
   Update: yes I think the problem is Windows explorer - I'm using ftp to copy now and it is fast :-)

bens

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 07:55:10 AM »

Glad it worked for you.

But here with xp sp3 no better luck...

Stuck at 11 500 Ko/s

:smileymad:

kingaaa

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 10:22:51 AM »
   Whats FTP?, how do you do it? this unit is doing my head in! I thought I was being smart by sending the files over just before I went to bed, I got up this morning to check it and the whole process was stopped because I accidentally sent a "trashbox" over with the files. What is a trashbox anyway, does every folder need one? I gotta tell you I bought this unit with a buffalo usb wireless g stick and neither of them have performed to my expectations. I've just tranferred 400gb from a seagate external drive to another external drive and it took less than an hour, I'm going into the second day trying to transfer files within the linkstation - they are'nt even going anywhere.If I was to do this on the seagate it would take less than 10 seconds! I will NEVER buy buffalo again!

bens

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 10:40:45 AM »

In fact I'm using SyncbackSE to save all my files.

There is an option in SyncbackSE to use FTP so i tried it...

But the problem still the same, it just takes hours to copy to the Linksation... 

Transfer rates are just a disaster...