Author Topic: Value of Multiple Shares in Backup Scenarios  (Read 1222 times)

bitkeeper

• Calf
Value of Multiple Shares in Backup Scenarios
« on: January 27, 2010, 08:35:30 PM »

Looking for a little general insight on configuring my LS-WSGL....

I'm going to have two LS-WSGL 500GB units, in RAID1   (one died, being replaced...I decided I liked the unit, so I got another so they could serve as "warm" replacements for each other.  (I'm asking another question on this forum about keeping them in sync.)

I'm going to use Acronis True Image and backup to a rotation of three USB drives (that I can take offsite).

-  I've currently got about:

-  7GB of "active" data

-  10GB of "old versions" that I like to keep before sending them to the recycle bin

-   30GB of photos and music that's fairly static

On my PC HD I have in the past maintained these different content in different partitions...which I understand that can't do on the LS-WSGL

The question I have here is:  

==>  what are some of the possible values of using multiple shared folders on my two LS-WSGL's?

a)  use them as quasi-partitions, for logical data separation?

b)  because they can be backed up a "whole units"? (or with simpler backup jobs?)

I realize I may have answered my own question, however, I would appreciate any reality check or other ideas that I could use in finalizing my setup before reloading it with data.

Thanks! 

Colin137

• Big Bull
Re: Value of Multiple Shares in Backup Scenarios
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 10:18:39 PM »

The only real downside to using multiple shared folders is that clients will treat different shares as separate filesystems. Moving files between the shares necessitates a copy operation. If this is not a common occurrence, then you might as well use multiple shares. Moving files between subfolders of a share will only reindex them, with nearly no transfers.