Author Topic: TeraStation PRO - Users can't write/create folder inside directory created by another users  (Read 15125 times)

Nexlux

• Calf

If anything you need an admin reset or something, the buffalo guys would probably know how to help but looks like they aren't in haha

piyushagrawal

• Calf

With Windows, when you COPY a file it will inherit the permissions of the parent folder. When you MOVE a file it will maintain it's permissions. You can only move files within a server, going to another server is just a copy and delete.

To maintain permissions between servers you need to use a tool that will do that for you such as robocopy or the file system migration tool.

If you're just moving to another folder just do a cut & paste and permissions will be maintained.

Lepide

KUMBE

• Calf

Hi,

did you resolve that problem? I have the same problem, 2 mac users and 9 win users. Win users don't have that problems, only when mac user made a new folder, that is readable from everybody but only the user that has created it can have full permissions.

I've removed the Domani user and synchro, I've made Terastation Native groups and users thinking it was the Win Domain. Nothing change.

It make me really crazy everytime (everyday) we have to work on ur projects. 

Thank you.

Davide

StevenG

• Calf

I have a Terastation III with the same issue, AD connected.

Anything copied to the share ends up with broken permission information. Even if I copy down locally then copy up it does the same.

Windows 7 clients seem ok. 

Is there any conclusion? Does it need stripped off permissions before copying?

Steven

PCPiranha

• Big Bull

Share permissions on sub folders isn't supported (to my knowledge), but windows permissions are set on the file and are carried over when copied.  Remember that it will use the most restricted access out of the 2 permissions.  I have a feeling that they are being confused in this thread.

StevenG, Windows 7 doesn't do anything differently than XP in terms of accessing shares, I would check your Windows permissions on the sub folders and ensure that the firmware on the unit is up to date.  If you're still stuck any additional information would help resolve the issue.

StevenG

• Calf

Apologies, I had parked this for a while.

The problem is with Mac users connecting via SMB.  (10.6.8)

The owner permission is the user and everyone else has no access. If the owner changes permission for everyone the whole permissions break.

Only way to access is to run as the single username.

ovad2

• Calf

This solved the issue with all of your symptoms.

I suddenly started experiencing this isue with a Linkstation on my network.  I had attempted to pull Active Directory users and groups from my domain controller to use in the access restrictions of my Linkstation.  I told my Mac user to un-mount and re-mount the drive using his AD credentials rather than the pre-AD ones used locally on his Mac. 

After finding the Linkstation's AD access restrictions' capabilities to be an abismal failure, I just reverted to an open permissioned workgroup drive.  After this point, no other users could write to the folders that my Mac user was creating on the shared drive. 

I had him un-mount the drive and re-mount it using the local machine's username and password that he was using.  Now we're back to normal :)