Author Topic: TeraStation PRO - Users can't write/create folder inside directory created by another users  (Read 15124 times)

IDS

• Calf

TS-HTGL/R5 with 1.33 firmware

The NAS is on an Active Directory domain with share permissions configured.

Problem:

When a user creates a directory within the directory tree and adds some files to it, any other user only has Read-Only access to this directory. They cannot make changes to the existing files, cannot create/add new files, and cannot create new subdirectories.

Looking at the permissions in Explorer for the folder and files, the user that created them is listed as the owner and the only person to have Read-Write access. The Everyone and Domain Users group are listed as having special permissions. The permissions also show a not inherited.

Everything I've been able to find in this forum says that permissions on anything below the share are not configurable, so why are they being set (incorrectly) anyway?

Yes, I've tried mapping to the share via the IP address as well. No difference. Tried with both XP SP3 and Vista SP2.

TSPII

• Calf

Glad to see i am not the only one. I followed instructins to the "T".

Created a domain account TERASTATION..

bla, bla, bla....

I added a group to the share. Out of the group only one user had nice.

Tech support told me the same thing that they don't put permission the sub directory or nice at the security properties, guess what i have the following users:

10000 (Unix Group\10000) <<< This user has nothing checked off under Permissions

10002 (Unix Group\10002)<<<< This user has allow for all permsions

Everyon<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Same as 10000(Unix Group\10000)

However, when you go to advance user 10002 has full control. User 10000 and Everyon show none for permission.

Well, to me it looks like Buffalo is lying, because you and i know teh TSP is applying access restriction on files and folders!

Anybody care to expalin this?

drmemory

• Big Bull

Instead of accusations like lying, how about keeping to the goal of the forums and just requesting help.

If you encountered errata in the folder permission code, the mods and regulars will be happy to help and try to resolve the issue.

Paul

• Big Bull

The terastation will pull user names and passwords from the AD server.  All permissions are set on folders from the root level of the TS, all parent folders will pass down permissions to all children folders and files within them.  All permissions must be set from the Terastations web interface.  The interpretation of the NTFS file system of the XFS file systems attributes will not always read correctly from the NTFS side due to the compatibility issues with SAMBA .  I hope this helps clear things up.  If you need any additional support please call us at 866-752-6120

IDS

• Calf

> All permissions are set on folders from the root level of the TS

Did that

> all parent folders will pass down permissions to all children folders and files within them

This is what seems to be broken, as child folders have different permissions, locking some users out.

> All permissions must be set from the Terastations web interface

By "permissions", I'm assuming you mean READ-ONLY or READ-WRITE levels of access. There is no other permissions related interface.

> The interpretation of the NTFS file system of the XFS file systems attributes will not always read correctly from the NTFS side due to the compatibility issues with SAMBA

Okay, but how did folders get assigned ownership and exclusive right access to the user that created them and everyone else is read-only? If permissions get passed down from the original share location, why are all other users, even those who are in the named access group, getting read-only access?

chasd

• Calf

I have this same issue on a Linkstation Pro Duo (LS-W2.0TGL/R1 Firmware 3.08).

It is setup in a AD environment with XP and Mac accessing.

I there a way to gain Write access to the folders without being the creator? I would do a firmware update but I don't have a good backup.

n1cepeg

• Calf

Hi all!

I'm experiencing the same problem with windows and mac users.

This problem is driving me crazy. 

Please help me. 

I've already installed all updates available but nothing has changed.

I'm using a BUFFALO TERASTATION PRO II - TSH20TGL/R5.

Thank you in advance.

hioctaine

• Calf

if you havent got any macs on your system try unticking the mac box on the tera stations web interface, i found this help with our tera station III ES 8TB

sinosimelo

• Calf

LOL DO NOT PANIC! on Access Restriction > Permission Collumn, just click "Read Only" then a drop down will appear Select "Read & Write"

i accidentally solved it :p

Dustrega

• Big Bull

Good call :robotvery-happy:

mrossO2C

• Calf

Hi, All i seem to have a problem here. i'm running a Mac And Windows Domain, I have one of these TeraStation Pro's which hosts shared files for our marketing and media team

Model :TS-HTGL/R5

Firmware: 1.33
this device is only used by mac systems. and when the mac users create folders and files they are read only to every one but themselves, seems to be a common theme and then no other mac users can access the drive. If i do the same on my windows xp or w7 machine the Folders and Files are correct. every one has read/write.
The Drivers are Formatted With XFS..so does this mean there is an issue with the
Ok so i have Two Problems:
1) i need to take ownership of the Files that have become read only so i can reset the permissions as now the majority of files are locked. and i can't because access is denied -.-
2) I need to stop this happening. i looked at the present solution and i have no drop down list...
i need help
cheers

Dustrega

• Big Bull

This device doesn't support Mac or Windows permissions being placed on files or folders within the OS.  You'll have to access the files via the Mac and take the permissions off of the files/folders from whichever respective OS they were set.

Watr-Tyte

• Calf

I cannot access current folders within NAS.  I would like to re structure file tree within NAS/Terastation.  How?  Used to be able to access and set permissions before?  What do I need to do?  When I log on I can see user name group ID and such....but no folders.  I know they are there.  I can access the files within the folders from NAS but cannot get into admin to add and delete necessary folders.

Watr-Tyte

• Calf

same user....need answer. I can access folders...so I know they are there.  When I log on as admin, I am logged into account (I can see) but no folders available.  I need to reset some permissions and rebuild file tree.  Could I get a little help?

Nexlux

• Calf

Not so much...