Author Topic: LS-CHL : configure Media Server or install Twonky ?  (Read 7347 times)

Oliver30

• Calf
LS-CHL : configure Media Server or install Twonky ?
« on: January 25, 2010, 03:50:23 PM »

Hello,

Used : LS-CHL-V21D1, Firmware 1.21

how can I configure the media server, I have a Samsung LE40A859 and with this installed media server I cannot fast forward the movie, the option isn't show, with other DLNA media server, I didn't have this problem (twonky on windows, Serviio and Samsung Share Manager).

I read often times, that other user installed Twonky on LS-CHL, how can I access it, with the normal telnet-client, I cannot. Or is it planned to include a stable Twonky server into the next firmware ?

Oliver

JoshC

• Big Bull
Re: LS-CHL : configure Media Server or install Twonky ?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 10:46:04 PM »

Buffalo has not updated the version of TwonkyMedia Server on our products because we have the latest supported NAS version of the software on our units. According to their website, Twonky as a company has decided not to support further versions of the TwonkyMedia Server for most NAS providers.  They still provide updated versions of this software on their website, but they include a disclaimer stating that the version is "provided as an unsupported version of TwonkyMedia as is.  The NAS installer scripts are not all updated and may not work". 

Oliver30

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 01:03:36 PM »

Hi,

yesterday evening, I saw, that the internal Media Server is Twonky 4.4.8. I found also the admin interface, but no hint in the user manual (port 9050). With this configuration panel, I have the option, I searched.

But, the main problems remains : your Media server didn't work right, I have a problem with my Samsung TV. The solution is, to add an entry in the clients.db from Twonky. How can I access the file and change it ?

Oliver

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 01:45:27 PM »

Oliver, unfortunately Buffalo products don't like to be chaged by users. As far as I know there really is no way to add what you need to add. You might be out of luck until one day when Buffalo decides to catch up with firmware updates. Don't hold your breath though.

Josh, I realize you just copied and pasted your spew about Twonky not supporting NAS and that we have the latest version available but I dont think that is necessarily true. There is another more recent version that supports everything the Buffalo customers are asking for but the only way to get it is to manually install the twonky update which means we would need to hack into our Buffalo products which of course voids all warranties. My quesiton is: Why doesnt Buffalo get that updated software from Twonky, add it to a firmware udpate and make all its customers happy?

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 11:12:02 AM »

Shonky, there are a few things that Twonky 5 can do that 4 can't. I agree with you, that we need to get his updated. If for what ever reason Buffalo doesn't want to spend the money to update it (buy new licenses) then it should at least give the users the option of updating it themselves. As far as I know the only to update to the newer version is to hack into the NAS and I tried and it was not easy, I couldn't figure it out. As far as I know all they would need to do is open telnet on the NAS and the rest is done by the twonky installer. I would love to see MP4 support, Album Artwork, and a more reliable media server. All these seem to be the case with Twonky 5. I undertand the new Word Book II is shipping with twonky 5 already on it. They must have worked out some deal...

Oliver30

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 03:29:38 PM »

I think, the main target of all companies is : Meet customers expecations.

From my point of view : Buffalo didn't reach this target, they put a DLNA logo on their products, but the products are not configurable. I will have a NAS with regular DLNA support for my TV or the option to configure it.

Oliver

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 10:00:04 PM »

I completely agree Oliver, I dont mind the not being able to change the configuration as long as it did what its supposed to do. Unfortuantely Buffalo doesnt seem to worried about their customers. I know the mods/admin here try to help as much as they can but I think their hands are tied.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 10:03:47 PM »

:smileywink:

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 12:53:37 PM »

The blue verbage above is part of what ties our hands - installing the new twonky will cause issues with the NAS function. Buffalo has the last supported NAS version of Twonky. We're concerned about customers bricking their units, with our help.

Oliver30

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 03:54:48 PM »

Unhappy : You are right, the mods and admin made a good job, the try to help very fast, as best they can and as best they are allowed to help.

Oliver

Oliver30

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 04:05:40 PM »

As said many time before - this is not a forum for personal soapboxing and slander.

Let's keep things progressing for forum readers who want help.

If you want to discuss it - drmemory@buffalotech.com

***message removed***

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 04:23:07 PM »

Oliver, if I had to make your choice I would go with your #3 solution. Return the product, because in fact it does not work for your needs. Im sure there is another product that works for what you need. I dont like the fact that I cant see album artwork, but there are other items on the Buffalo that made me keep it and wait in hopes that they will update their media server software one day on a firmware update. You are not going to find another NAS that works seemlessly with the iphone (which I have and need) and you are not going to find another NAS that has a more user friendly WebAcces feature. We have watched movies that are stored on my NAS 2000k miles way at a hotel using the free wi-fi and web access or ftp. Unfortunately I would consider #3.

You could also just purchase the latest version of Twonky and install it on a computer that can always be on and stream using the computer installed twonky with the NAS as your media location. That should work with your tv. You could even use Windows Media player to stream if you want a free solution.

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 09:13:47 PM »

shonk just a note, you do know that you could change the file extension on the mp4 to m4v and it will show up on the xbox. I realize this is not the answer to all the faults of the LS but it is a workaround.

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 10:53:48 PM »

I know Shonk, I had a Linkstation Gigabit before the live and had it for over 3 years without a single firmware update. The last firware update was 2 years ago and it wasnt even a firmware update it was a patch to make it compatible with Vista. The ftp on it never worked.

I finally switched to a Live and even thought not everything works as it should its still the lesser of two evils. I can't afford the other more expensive NAS devices and the WD World Edition is dog compared to the Live. So I deal with the bad that is has and hope that in a year or so we have a new firmware that fixes everything. I don't think we will ever see a firmware that will include a newer version of Twonky though. That would mean that Buffalo would have to buy millions of licences to give out for free and its not going to do that. It might open up telnet and let you download it your self, but I doubt that too.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 11:07:49 AM »

The reason that different products, and even different revisions of the same model product, can't run the same FW, is that the FW is tied to the controller on the logic board.