Author Topic: Can somebody please help me install a Linkstation Live 500GB onto my network?  (Read 4603 times)

kingaaa

• Calf

I got one second hand but there was no installation disc.I downloaded the installtion software from Buffalo, but I just cant get it going.When I start the software I choose connect to a network, then I go through all the motions of making sure its connected to the router, its powered on and the link/act light stays lit. I then get a "setting confirmation" box open up with host name,ip adress,workgroup and subnet mask.After I click ok I'm take back to the setup and an installation page for "Nas navigator". I try to install it but a similar box to the one before opens up saying that a shortcut for HS-DHGL-EM6FD has been created, but under that it says :failed mapping network drives and confirm existing shared folder in LinkStation.I dont get any other options than clicking ok.when I do I'm brought back to the setup and the Nas navigator is now highlighted in red saying "cancelled or an error occured". I click next and I get a big "congratulations! setup has been created sucsessfully! So I shut down setup and open the nas navigator and I get the gui open up with the ip adress, but the workgroup name is blank as is the firmware version box.When I click refresh I get "network routing cant be found, confirm network cabling and connection".

I'm really out of my depth here, I've never had to install anything that connects to the computer via ethernet except for my router, I'm just so used to usb.should the drive show up on "my computer" when its attached? I've tried the reset button and I've tried the ip address in internet explorer, but that wont connect either. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Matt_M

• Buffalo
Within the NAS Navigator it should show an IP, workgroup, hostname and firmware revision. In the firmware box is it showing a version number or just dashes?

kingaaa

• Calf
   It wasnt showing a firmware vision, but after MUCH messing about I finally got the latest firmware installed.I now have a different problem though, I've tranfereed some video files,which by the way is a very slow process,but ithey dont show up on my pinnacle showcenter.The server shows up alright, but when I go into the video selection there is nothing there.Now I deleted the folder called "share", mainly because I did'nt want to have to navigate through a load of folders to get to a file,and I created a couple of folders called "movies", "music" ect..ect.., now I'm starting to think I should have placed them inside the "share" folder rather than in the linkstation folder. What is the best wat to get my home media player to recognise the folders as they are named on the drive and not have them in catagories like actors,movies,year ?

Matt_M

• Buffalo
If you go into the Pcast menu from the configuration page there should be a dropdown menu there marked "Media Folder" make sure this is set to the root directory of your media files. Then towards the bottom of this section there should be a refresh and update database button, click the refresh first, then update database. After this simply hit apply and see if the media is showing on your device.

kingaaa

• Calf
   Thanks Matt M. This might sound like a stupid question, but how do you unpack rar files to the drive? I mean, whats the filepath? seeing as its not connected directly to the pc but to a router.