Author Topic: Not Happy with Bittorrent Functionality  (Read 4568 times)

sjhuk

• Calf
Not Happy with Bittorrent Functionality
« on: November 18, 2008, 05:55:58 PM »

To All,

Bought buffalo 1TB with BitTorrent today. Here is what I am not happy with.. let me know the fixes or workaround. I have the latest firmware.

1) The BitTorrent side of things creates folders - fine... but the problem is, when a download is complete it puts it in the finished area and this cannot be deleted. Every time I try and move or delete it I get a write error. This is because only the owner has access to delete (i.e. the bittorrent clients user) and not even admins. Workaround please - because this is useless. The only way I can think so far is to put bittorrent on a share and periodically delete the share and put it back again. If this is the case then my retailler can expect a return of this HD tomorrow morning.

2) I left BT downloading some test files and it all seemed to be working fine. I stopped the BitTorrent functionality and restarted it and they all went back to 0%. Is this a known problem? Is there a fix?

3) Every time I disable/reenable the BitTorrent client my settings are removed - i.e. port, seeding info, download caps etc. Again.. what is this all about?

4) I log into Web Access on port 9000 and it sits asking me for a username/password. I've tried all combinations that I've set up on the system and none are expected.

5) When transferring large files over a wired connection to the NAS box it loses connectivity and the transfer is interupted.. which requires a restart of the transfer. I've not managed to copy anything more than 500MB onto the HD.

I've been using the NAS box for around 2 hours so far and found the above. Searching online/the forums has uncovered that other users seem to have these problems (?!). Please confirm the above. I really want to make this piece of kit work and don't fancy sending it back, but if the above are genuine issues then I have no choice as it is not fit for purpose!

sjhuk

• Calf
Re: Not Happy with Bittorrent Functionality
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 05:59:17 PM »
   sorry, 6) Cannot password protect the BitTorrent management page so anyone on my network can add/remove items.

sjhuk

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 07:04:28 AM »

Hi,

I notice there have been other comments on the forum but not to my message. Will these fixes be resolved in the next firmware version - and if so when will this be released? I need to know asap as I only have 7 days to return if this is not fit for purpose.

Regards,

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 10:33:43 AM »
This is the first firmware that buffalo has released with Bittorrent functions, Buffalo is always working on new firmware that will improve speed and functionality. I will report your findings to our firmware engineers.

sjhuk

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 10:38:15 AM »
   thanks very much Paul. I hope I didn't sound like I was moaning too much, but obviously I am a tad dissapointed out of the box. I will keep the drive and eagerly await a firmware update. At the moment I would question advertising the hardware with support BitTorrent functionality, but kudos for making such an otherwise fine product. I do not know much about Buffalo and how quickly their turnaround is on Firmware; are we talking before this Chrismas or before Christmas 2009

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 10:54:00 AM »
I will have to check to see what the progress is on the firmware, I have sent up your information when I get a projected released date I will post it.

gnas969

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 09:32:27 PM »
   looking forward to new firmware to fix BT issues. Seems like the client software works nicely on my side giving good speeds,  but the permissions , folders and security issues need to be addressed to make this a huge bonus on this nice NAS unit.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 10:42:40 AM »
I was told this is expected to release about the middle of December.

sjhuk

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 03:22:23 PM »
   Many thanks!