Author Topic: E04 Can't Load Kernel on TS Live  (Read 2895 times)

Rocko

• Calf
E04 Can't Load Kernel on TS Live
« on: January 17, 2010, 10:57:13 AM »

Hi - I had a powercut last night, and the my TS HS-DHTGL-R5 no longer boots up; I get a "Loading Kernel" message on the screen for a while, and then a flashing red light and beeping with the E04 "System Error - E04 Can't Load Krnl" error code.

I've had a look arond the forum and tried the following:

Booting into emergency mode - made no difference.

Using the TFPT boot recovery - I set the ip address of my PC fine (confirmed in ipconfig), but no requests seemed to arrive from the TS. This was in normal and emergency modes.

Using the TSUpdater. I used the correct one for my TS; the first time I ran it it connected to the TS and uploaded - I got a messsage on the TS re it updating the F/W and not to turn it off. It rebooted itself a couple of times, but then stalled again on the "kernel E04" issue with the TSUpdater eventually timing out.

I then used debug mode and reran it. The same thing happened.

I've tried removing the HDDs one by one - then I don't get the kernel message, it just stops with a "HDn Error - E16 HD1/2/3/4 is missing" message and a red light; I cannot do anything with the TS then other than turn it off.  It also seems to have rebooted into emergency mode, and I get a message telling me there's "no array info".

And after removing all of the HDDs like that, with all 4 back in it now boots ok (no error message/red lights/beeping) but it does so into EM, and has no array info.

I can see it in NasNavi, but if I try and open  it/view shares etc I get a "network routing can't be found" message.

Finally, hooking it back into the router rather than direct into my laptop once again causes it to appear in NasNavi fine (with the usual IP address) but trying to connect to it produces the same error. It's still booting into EM as well, even though I'm not telling it to.

Any help gratefully received; I'm at my wits end trying to get this thing back up and running.

Rocko

• Calf
Re: E04 Can't Load Kernel on TS Live
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 11:07:52 AM »

Gah, now it's stopped booting up into EM, but has started up with the E04 message/beeping etc again. And nasnavi can no longer see it *sob*

Rocko

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 08:43:19 AM »

Cheers for that; I tried the TFTP but to no avail. I set the IP address etc fine, and it listened for the TS - but the TS didn't sent it any requests. I tried it a couple of times.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 03:24:45 PM »

Sounds like a bad HD.  If you pull each one out and boot the unit up does it e04?  Try that and if it ask for a TFTp boot when a HD is out then that HD is bad.

Rocko

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 04:19:42 AM »

When I remove the HDDs one at a time I don't get the kernel message; I just get something saying

"HDn Error - E16 HD1/2/3/4 is missing" message and a red light;

The machine then just sits; it won't do anything other than turn off.

I'll try removing the HDDs in turn with the tFTP listening and let you know how I get on.

Many thanks for your help.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 04:46:35 AM »

Are you just pulling one HD out then booting it up?  If not then try it that way.