Author Topic: Can PC Cast/Media Servers feature slow down Terastation live?  (Read 2630 times)

presideo

• Calf
Can PC Cast/Media Servers feature slow down Terastation live?
« on: November 18, 2008, 12:51:05 am »

One of My TS live's has been choking on the streaming of media files to apple TV. These are files that stream fine on my other TS live.  They are making it 30 seconds before stuttering a bit, and then stopping completely while the drives appear to be trying to keep up.  The network performance is fine, I used the same network connection in the other TS live with no problems.

I disabled the media servers feature and the problem appeared to go away.  I haven't used it for very long so I don't know if it is a true fix just yet.

Just curious to know what settings can be disabled to maintain peak performace/speed for streaming of files.

1. FTP

2. Appletalk

Anything else???? 

The files are non HD, medium bitrate files on a wireless N dedicated network, by the way. (no other traffic but the TS's and Apple TV) 

Thanks,

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Can PC Cast/Media Servers feature slow down Terastation live?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 09:16:26 am »

You can also adjust the packet sizes used by the NIC card.  I would pass the unit a 1 gig file; time how long it takes to save. Do the same for each of the settings and select the one that gets the fastest rate.

Also make sure the firmware is up to date. 

BuffaloBrian

• BLBeta
  • <Insert car metaphor here>
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 11:15:34 am »

I have thousands of media files on my TS Live at home and never have any performance problems with it. 

I have a question for you.  If you disable the media server than how do you stream to the AppleTV?  Does it support a traditional SMB stream?

presideo

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 10:50:05 pm »

Changing the MTU settings for my mac did a little bit to help, I was actually looking for more info on what I can configure on the TS Live to speed things up.

as for the PC Cast thing, I honestly don't get that whole thing.  I use my TS live's with itunes on a mac.  I just drag the files from the NAS's directly into itunes after they are tagged.  There really is no need, to me, for the whole media server thing. Perhaps it is because I don't understand the feature, but I think that is due to a lack of a comprehensive explanation in the manual.  

But what I see is about a 15-20% speed bump from turning the Media Server function off.  The Appl TV's still stream everything, in fact they now stream them with no hiccups or stuttering.  So if you use itunes and Apple TV, you absolutely do not need that feature, it is best to shut it off.  You will just need to add the files (Drag and Drop just as you would any other itunes files) to itunes and you will be good to go!

Back to my original question though.  Are there any other features that really hog the TS resources that really do not need to be on?

Matt_M

• Buffalo
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 04:14:57 pm »
There's a few features on the device which while not terribly intensive if turned off will improve performance. Namely the FTP server function, the Apple Talk function and the Web Access. It most likely will not be a huge performance gain, but it will free up resources on the box and you may see some improvements.