Author Topic: LinkStation Quad LS-QL/R5 "I21 checking disc 1..."  (Read 7055 times)

kasperschou

• Calf
LinkStation Quad LS-QL/R5 "I21 checking disc 1..."
« on: January 10, 2010, 03:07:41 AM »

Hi, I'm having trouble accessing my LinkStation Quad, much like the problem in thread "linkstation quad disk check".

My LinkStation was running flawlessly for about a month, then I had to move it to another location and did a controlled power off which I had done many times before. Then booted it and now it has been running with a "I21 checking disc 1..." for 9 straight hours. I see from other replies that it can take days?! Why?

I'm affraid that the device is corrupted causing data loss. I bougth this to ensure data on RAID5, but I see now the issues having this controlled on one device might not be the best solution for me, if this can happen :(

In case that this doesn't recover, what are my chances of recovering my very important data. Seen replies with UFS Explorer - what version is used to access a LinkStation device? I've worked only with local discs for data recovery.

Also to note is that I'm running firmware 1.05. Can I do a firmware update without risking my data even more?

Thanks in advance,

Kasper Schou

kasperschou

• Calf
Re: LinkStation Quad LS-QL/R5 "I21 checking disc 1..."
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 03:21:38 AM »

I know get this when trying to access my device using web admin, and cannot find it using NASNavigator

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, admin@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 12:22:45 AM »

The time it takes you cannot determine but only guess.  From what I've seen it can take anywhere from 1-3 days.  The reason being is you have to think about what RAID you have it in, how much data and the size.

kasperschou

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 02:22:06 PM »

Ok now the box suddently accepted my connection and allowed me to look at the raid configuration even though disc 1 is still not accessible. It said that no RAID configuration existed, but I had the option "Reconstruct RAID Array" which without thinking a split second on possible data loss i started this process. It has now completed and now say "Back Fan Malfunction". Now when I access the Disc management it says "Create RAID Array".. Have I destroyed the data or could it still be there? :( :( :( :( :(

kasperschou

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 12:36:00 PM »

I'm currently trying to reconstruct my array using software (detatched all drives from the linkstation and added to a desktop machine, running different analasis tools, but so far no luck in findig the raid parameters. What are the default raid parameters for RAID 5 on a LinkStation QUAD LS-QL/R5 ? (Stripe, parity etc.)

madjames

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 06:21:43 PM »

Hey there,

I've got the same issue. Did you ever find out the stripe size etc? I can see some of my data with ufs explorer, same filename and size, but when restored, the files won't open.

I'm using 65KB as the stripe size, but I think it's wrong.

Cheers,

James

sliq

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 12:59:16 AM »

Hi there,

Is anyone knows how to connect to this device beside Web and NASNavi2.

I can ping the IP but not hostname, cannot get on NASNavi2 or web too.

If I restart the Buffalo i manage to login using web but only for few second after that it will freeze and on NASNavi2 its shows "I21 checking disc 1...". So I leave it overnight and try to logon again on the next day but no success. The web says -  Internal Server Error and NASNavi2 wont detect my device.

What should I do.

\sliq

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 01:09:43 AM »

You need to let it sit there until the unit is done.  It can take anywhere from 24-48 hrs.

NLightNMe

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 11:28:45 AM »

I have a same unit which has now been flashing from blue to white two long and one short (which I am assuming is i 21 as well) and has been doing same for 6 days now. I used to be able to web login to the unit but cannot do it anymore. t told me at the time it was doing a disk check but now I am not so sure. I do not want to unplug the power as I know this is not the right thing to do but I cannot do anything else and it has been 24-48 hours 3 times now! I tried holding the power button down to safely turn the unit off but that did not work.

Any suggestions? I need access to the data, it has almost been a week now.

EM

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 06:29:34 PM »

Hello to all.

I have exactly the same issue as NLightNMe.

I see that your last post is dated June, we are now in September ...

Did you find the solution ?

Can you share it with us ?

mottorad

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 07:27:01 PM »

So has this gone anywhere?  My unit was running for a year and a half without issues and is now in the same locked up state as described in this thread.  Who would have thought that a  RAID5 NAS would have died this way.  I can except a disk failure but for the whole unit to up and die, what the heck is the point of having RAID 5 then because this is not reliability.  There should be a way to recover from this, has anyone gotten any answers?  I'll go back to mirrors so at least recovery is simpler.

Shandem

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 04:17:37 PM »

We have the exact same problem. Looks like were going to have to send this thing to a data recovery centre since I can't be messing around with the data on there.

jmb49

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 08:42:49 AM »

Now I engage, I shoot and I kill a very very common idea : Buffalo LS-QL/R5 is ***NOT*** a good mature product. Really.

I encountered 3 different troubles with my 2 LS-QL/R5 6 Tb units 14 months used. I got two units to full backup one on the other. This was a very good idea, belive me. I perform the backup with a non Buffalo tool I use to configure for years and I manage very well. This backup is fully accessible without any particular tool (like a copy/paste).

The first trouble, Buffalo web assistance replied me within hours, this was few month ago. Very good ! The third one, Buffalo web assistance replied me within weeks. Feel a little difference ? What appen with this assistance ? Why is it so long now ? Ah OK it becomes as long as RAID rebuild process onto LS/QL ("it can take 12-24 hours per TB for a restructure"), what a speedy process !!!

Now about troubles. To issue the first, I had to rebuild RAID array of the station so I lost all the data. Normal. It was the "backup station", so I only had to perform again the backup (more than a week !). OK, no pb.

Second trouble was with the USB external port. Something very strange, like unstability : you plug two times an external unit and you obtain two different results. Funny ? Not really ! How to be in confidence with this kind of behavior ?...

Third one looks like a "I21 checking disc 1...". This is why I post here.

No comment.

Data is lost because we wanted to write them on some good RAID 5 units ?! I repeat Buffalo LS-QL/R5 is ***NOT*** a good mature product. Units are so slow that an iPhone is going faster !!!!!! And not trustable, this is not correct.

I whish Buffalo now to ends its business and stops everything.

Never buy a Buffalo product

I'm very very angry and if Buffalo staff want me to explain more, they can. My name and my mail is readable, I'm waiting for them, when they want. Will they contact me ? Please, think about a real expert writing more than one mail a month, I'm not playing Lego.

I'll never buy a Buffalo product again

Jean-Marc Boisseau

wing

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 07:09:28 AM »

I agreed with you all that I would never buy buffalo again for this kind of unrealiable data storage.   The reason I bought it was that I need to have more secure data storage and I have it running R5.   All the sudden, the disk check shows up all the time and I can't get connected to my disk.    I took it to the shop, but was told to pay equivalent 1,000 USD to get it fixed, but no guarantee to recover the data.   My file is much more important than this rediculous fixing cost and I would not like to pay for fixing this **bleep** thing without my data back.   Well, I asked the shop the return the whole thing to me and I'm still trying to find a way to recover the data and don't know what might be wrong.  I'm wondering if I buy another maker product like LACIE and plug in the disks now in baffalo, wonld it work? ?Anyone out there, any ideas how to recover my data?

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 11:08:43 AM »

Have you called your local support, instead of emailing them. If you have critical data - please call the support team.