Author Topic: Windows 7 Linkstation HD-H250LAN Mapping Network Drive  (Read 12630 times)

jfanelle

• Calf
Windows 7 Linkstation HD-H250LAN Mapping Network Drive
« on: January 09, 2010, 03:09:22 PM »

Linkstation HD-H250LAN; Firmware version 2.3

Windows 7

When I try to map the Linkstation as a network drive, it asks for a username and password.  It appears like Windows 7 puts in a domain or computer name before the user name; i.e. \computername\username.  Had this issue with XP but it allowed me to log in using different user name.  In Windows 7 it allows to login using different credentials but it still appears like it puts in the computer name before the username;

Need help mapping the network drive - any suggestions?

JoshC

• Big Bull
Re: Windows 7 Linkstation HD-H250LAN Mapping Network Drive
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 02:27:07 AM »

Go to your run box and type in \\ipaddress.

dgilfillan

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 10:02:56 AM »

Hi, I am having the same problem. I have tried your suggestion without any success. I have updated my Linkstation (HS-DGL300) with the latest firmware (1.62) and tried - still no joy. No problems whatsoever from XP - just Windows 7!!!!

Thaitawat

• Tatanka
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 08:48:16 PM »

Solution: Follow this instruction to allow Windows 7 to communicate to the older Buffalo NAS:

Step by step follow these instructions,press on Start / Control Panel / System and Security / Administrative Tools / Local Security Policy / Local Policies / Security Options

Within Security Options search and change:

"Network security: LAN Manager authentication level" to: "Send LM & NTLM responses"

To login to the Share use the following:

Press on Start and fill the search box with IP of your NAS and use the following to login:

User name: Host name\User name

Password: Password

Information from: http://www.buffalo-technology.com/knowledgebase/users/kb.php?id=10264&category_id=0&sid2=

pepjedison

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 05:25:52 PM »

For your logon credentials, try putting a backslash in front of the username -

\username

That should force it to use the local account for the device instead prepending the workgroup or computer name.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 05:12:56 AM »

Good info Thait,

Kudos!

grahamt

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 02:31:44 PM »

I have the version of this device with the network switch, which only supports firmware level 1.47.  However, the problem is otherwise identical.  The solution proposed in the article quoted does not work for me because Windows 7 Home Premium does not have a Local Security Policy!  This is only available in the "Professional" edition.

Furthermore, I tried setting up Network Credentials with a "\" in front of the userid but it said the userid was incorrect in format.

Any other ideas?

grahamt

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 05:55:47 AM »
   I have finally found the solution to this problem on the social.technet.microsoft.com forum. There are other users with exactly this same problem when using Windows 7 Home and Home Premium editions, for which the suggested solution above simply doesn't work, since the Home editions don't have the network connectivity tools required to generate Local Security Policy. These tools are ONLY available for the Ultimate, Professional and Business versions. It gets a bit messy with Windows 7 Home editions since you have to manually edit the Registry, using regedit. Before you do this I suggest you set a System Restore Point, in case anything goes seriously wrong (not likely but it's better to be safe than sorry). This can be a bit difficult to find in Windows 7. Click the Start button and select "Control Center > System and Security > System". On the left you will see "Advanced System Settings". Click this. You will now have a new window called "System Properties" with five tabs, one of which is called "System Protection". Click this. At the bottom you will find an item "Create a restore point right now for drives that have system protection turned on" and next to it a button labelled, "Create...". Click this. A pop-up window will ask you for a name for this Restore Point, by which you will recognise it if you need it. Do that and click the "Create" button. A Restore Point will now be created. You're now ready to modify the Registry. To do this in Windows 7 you have to go to the Start button and click "All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt". A "Command Prompt" window will now open and where the cursor is flashing type "regedit" and hit the "Enter" button on the keyboard. Windows will ask you if you want to let the program make changes to the computer, to which you reply you do, by clicking "Yes".. The Regedit Window will now open. Double click down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Lsa in the left-hand pane. When Lsa is finally highlighted, in the right-hand pane you will see a number of keys already created. Look down the list and see if one for LmCompatibilityLevel already exists. It probably won't. It didn't in my case. What you now need to do is create this key. From the menu bar at the top of the screen click on "Edit > New > DWORD (32 bit) value". Give this new key the name "LmCompatibilityLevel" and a value of 1. If the key does already exist and has a value other than 1 then you need to click: "Edit > Modify..." instead, and change the existing value to 1. Click "File > Exit". You must then Shutdown and restart your machine for the new value to take effect. The value of 1 is described by Microsoft as meaning: "Use NTLM 2 session security if negotiated. Clients use LM and NTLM authentication, and use NTLM 2 session security if the server supports it; domain controllers accept LM, NTLM, and NTLM 2 authentication." This is what you want in order to get your old BuffaloTech NAS device to accept the old network security protocols for logon. Since Buffalo Tech doesn't seem interested in supporting its faithful customers by providing a firmware update to enable these devices to accept the latest network security protocols, this is the only other solution. This works for me and I can now access the NAS drive and all the folders it contains, using my new Windows 7 Home Premium machine. Hopefully, yours will too. Good Luck. Reference: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpronetworking/thread/ae1c6daf-d1d9-414f-84dc-f2761d9d9db5 Reference: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239869

Newbie2718

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 10:20:43 PM »

Thanks *very* much, grahamt!  That solved the problem for me.

I had this problem (Buffalo LinkStation HD-HLAN and Windows 7 Home Premium results in incorrect username / password error upon network connection) for a very long time.  I scoured the tech sites several times and even tried some different regedit advice to no avail.  You (not the Buffalo tech people) really settled this issue.  Thanks again.

A tip for other newbies: When I first selected HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Lsa in the left-hand pane, I saw only one entry ("default") in the right pane, and when I created a new DWORD value, it appeared to work but didn't "stick," that is, when I reopened the file with regedit, my change had not been saved.  You must *click* on "Lsa" in the left pane until, as grahamt says, "When Lsa is finally highlighted, in the right-hand pane you will see a number of keys already created."  Then do your editing following grahamt's instructions.

Cheers!

jchaves

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 12:29:53 PM »

Hello.

Thank you for the guidelines. I try the the option going by the local security policy and it works. However the only way it is working is if type the IP Address of the Buffalo Device. For me that is an issue because My Network use DHCP.

I also notice that if a enter as administrator to the computer and write the hostname of the device I have access to it.

What can I modify in order to that work as regular user?

Thanks!

P1nky00

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 09:56:10 PM »
I have no experience with any of them so I cannot comment more about it. Good luck.

CHNJKid

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 02:05:35 AM »

Worked great thanks!