Author Topic: Access Bit Torrent Download manager from web  (Read 3960 times)

gnas969

• Calf
Access Bit Torrent Download manager from web
« on: November 17, 2008, 09:22:40 PM »
   Is there anyway to access the BiTTorent download manager page from the web so I can remotely monitor my downloads and add new ones? I tried using the same WanIP the web app that browes shares uses with the port of the BT Manager (8080) but it just got me to my roater config screen. Any ideas?

BuffaloBrian

• BLBeta
  • <Insert car metaphor here>
Re: Access Bit Torrent Download manager from web
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 09:29:48 PM »

Yes, but you will need to forward ports onyour firewall though.

The bittorrent manager can be accessed by going to:  http://IP_ADDRESS_OF_NAS:8080

You will need to forward port 8080 to the IP Address of your NAS device.  I recommend setting your NAS device to a static IP address on your router's subnet.

Then forward port 8080 on your router's NAT to 8080 on your NAS' IP address.  Then type:  http://PUBLIC_IP_ADDRESS:8080 into a browser remotely and it will port through to your BitTorrent manager.

Of course you will need to know what your public IP address is (goto www.whatismyip.com to figure out what it is).  I personally run Dynamic DNS on my router so I can access it via a hostname so I don't need to know what my IP is.

If you need additional help, please let me know and I'll try and work it through with you.

gnas969

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 08:14:47 AM »
   thanks worked like a charm. Now the only problem is it doesn't ask for any kind of user/password to get into my DL manager page so now anyone can access my BT Manager page. Is there a fix for this?

BuffaloBrian

• BLBeta
  • <Insert car metaphor here>
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 11:20:40 AM »

Yes, this is the caveat unfortunately, I should have mentioned that.  I'm working to get that resolved, but it won't be in the next release (that fixes the write protected problem).

In the mean time.  I leave mine open which is a risk, but to date I've never had any problems.  You may wish to change the inbound port on your NAT from 8080 to something more obscure as to help avoid very basic port scans (8080 is a common port).

Only certain routers allow mapping different ports (Buffalo happens to be one that allows this), e.g. a Buffalo router can work as follows:

Take inbound port 8742(random port) and map it to internal port 8080.

I'm glad it worked for you.

Message Edited by BuffaloBrian on 12-05-2008 02:11 PM
Message Edited by BuffaloBrian on 12-05-2008 02:11 PM