Author Topic: Users losing connection to Buffalo TeraStation HS-DHTGL/R5 2.14  (Read 3620 times)

arobinson

• Calf
Users losing connection to Buffalo TeraStation HS-DHTGL/R5 2.14
« on: January 06, 2010, 12:41:12 PM »

Hello,

We have a Buffalo TeraStation HS-DHTGL/R5 2.14 here in our office workgroup. We do not have any windows servers of any kind. Computers within the workgroup seem to lose their connection to the TeraStation once or twice a day. After a reboot of their computers, their connection is restored. This happens whether the user has a drive mapped to the Terastation or just a shortcut on their desktop. I added the ip address of the TeraStation to the host file of thier computers and that worked for a while but it's back to losing the connection again. At first it was only happening to Win2k Pro computers. But now it's happened with Winxp Pro computers as well. Is there something that I can do to eliminate this problem? Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: Users losing connection to Buffalo TeraStation HS-DHTGL/R5 2.14
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 05:55:53 AM »

That's odd, can you access the TS by IP address after they lose connectivity (before they reboot)?

arobinson

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 07:05:44 AM »

thanks for the response.

nope, can't access it by ip address either. at first i was able to but now i can't. can't access it until i reboot the user's pc

arobinson

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 08:42:03 AM »

is there a limit to the number of connections?

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 05:52:28 PM »

No there is no limititation to how many connections there is.  Reinitilize the unit through the Web Admin.  If your not using a static IP address on the unit, try to set one and see if that clears it up, If that dosent work then it might be possible corruption in the firmware and you will need to reflash the firmware.

rinthos

• Buffalo
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 07:13:51 PM »

arobinson,

How many concurrent users do you have? More than 256?

For the disconnections, do they tend to occur at the same time of the day?  If you have a switch/router with logging, are you able to see if the Link for the Terastation is disconnecting?

Do your workstations have any NIC power-saving features enabled?

---

arobinson

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 08:25:06 AM »

thanks for the response. we may have about 75 connections on any given day.

i'll have to look into the other questions that you asked. thanks again!

arobinson

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 08:27:40 AM »

thanks for the response JoshC. we do have it statically config'd. i will try reinitializing it through the web admin like you suggested. thanks again!