Author Topic: Remote access to NAS storage  (Read 1836 times)

voidtrance

• Calf
Remote access to NAS storage
« on: January 11, 2010, 04:58:26 PM »

Hi, I have a LinkStation Quad which is connected to my network and is used by multiple machines. The LinkStation is connected to a SmartUPS which is old enough to be using the Serial connection.

I have my UPS connected to my server which is used to poll the UPS for status and signal any other machines which may need to shut down. However, I'd like to be able to shutdown the LinkStation, as well.

I know that the LinkStation has support for UPS but it only supports USB UPSes connected directly to the LinkStation. Is there any way that I can signal the LinkStation to shut down remotely (from my server when it receives the Power Failure signal from the UPS)?

Thanks

JoshC

• Big Bull
Re: Remote access to NAS storage
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 10:24:33 PM »

Unfortunetly this is not supported.  This is the first time we have seen this request.

voidtrance

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 11:25:38 PM »

Hi, thank you for your reply.

I know that the LinkStation Quad is not a commercial grade product but having something like this seems like a no brainer. The requirement that the UPS is connected only to the LinkStation is somewhat unreasonable, in my opinion.

I can understand that Buffalo can't add support for all the UPSes out there, which is why I would have thought that it [Buffalo] would have provided some way to signal the LinkStation so users can attempt to prevent data loss in case of a power failure. I guess, I am disappointed...

Considering that the LinkStation already has a full-blown webserver running on it, it shouldn't be that hard to add a small XML-RPC server or something similar to provide such functionality. Does Buffalo accept request for features in future firmware releases or has firmware development for these products been frozen?

Thank you for you reply.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 12:00:21 AM »

If you would like to post that Idea in the Idea Exchange Lounge feel free!