Author Topic: LinkStation Keeps Shutting Down  (Read 7859 times)

stevedross

• Calf
LinkStation Keeps Shutting Down
« on: December 31, 2009, 09:13:34 AM »

my LinkStation LS-WTGL/RI has begun shutting down on a regular basis. It powers up when I press the power button on the back, but then shuts down after some time. Please help.

Thanks

Steve

wfuson

• Calf
Re: LinkStation Keeps Shutting Down
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 12:25:15 PM »

Hi Steve -  I had this same problem with one of my LinkStations, it has 1.x version firmware. For about a month the LS would shut down every 5 - 7 days but left  no error logs or warnings.  I got the daily email saying there were no errors so I didn't worry too much about it.  I did run disk checks but the LS reported no issues.

I checked settings to ensure the LS was not set to shut down after detecting an array error.  It wasn't.

I have since lost access to the entire LS.  So, I advise you to look carefully at your disks and to back things up away from the questionable LS if you can!  Luckily I have a second LS and I split the NAS duties between the units and used part of each unit to back up the other.  Maybe inefficient in terms of disk usage, but saved me in this case.

What happened to me?  Two weeks ago the number 1 disk failed - reporting that the LS could not detect a partition. Disk check still reported no errors.  Then, several days later it reported that a disk error was detected, the disk was removed from the array.

I attempted to replace the disk.  I've done it for disk 2 ~ 8 months ago - so a known procedure, no big deal.

This time problems though - when LS came up with the new disk it errored for formatting - expected.

What was not expected - all the user id's and passwords are lost.  The same ones I used to shut the bugger down are no longer recognized.  Admin, guests, and all registered user ID's are unrecognized.  My attempts to load new firmware say that it's all up to date, and the defaults don't work either.

Hope this isn't what happens to you, but that's my experience.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you have for me.

Good luck,

Bill Fuson

stevedross

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 07:47:15 AM »

Thanks Bill for the help. I have begun the process of backing up to another drive. Also, like and idiot, I did not install the CD that came with the drive and now cannot find it. Is there a downloadable version of this disk on their website?

thanks again

Steve Ross

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 04:30:32 AM »

I think you are referring to the NASNAVI.  You can get that on our website by going to support > downloads.  Then just select your product by name or model.

stevedross

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 08:22:30 AM »
   When we purchased this unit we plugged it into our switch and began using it. Question, if I want to use the software that came with it, do I have to plug the unit directly into a local computer? Thanks Steve

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 03:11:38 PM »

You have to have it on each and every PC if you want to use the software.  All you need is the Ip address and you can access it without the software, on any pc on your network.  You can have it on your network or directly connected via ethernet to you PC.