Author Topic: LS WT GL R1, lost all passwords after HDD failure  (Read 1324 times)

wfuson

• Calf
LS WT GL R1, lost all passwords after HDD failure
« on: December 30, 2009, 10:14:09 AM »

UNIT: 1 TB LinkStation WT GL R1

(older unit, 2 position power mode switch - manual and auto, raised power button,  recessed reset button).

(is one of two LS's I'm using.  Both are R1's, one on firmware 1.x series, and one on 3.x series - both sets just updated in the last 30 days.)

Problem:  unit has lost all passwords and/or user id's. 

Preceeding events:  HDD 1 failure (could not recognize partition), flashing red LED (!) and with error messages E13, E23, and I12.  All make sense.

Previous failures and events:  HDD 2 failed and replaced ~ 8 months ago

Recently the Array powered itself down without an error or warning message. 

Occurred every 6 - 7 days.

Actions taken: I replaced the failed HDD with another of the same size / brand.  powered it up, but could not log in.  I tried the same admin password that had worked prior to the failure, was not recognized.  Attempted other passwords, none were recognized.  Attempted to restore to factory defaults, no avail.  When I pushed the power switch for 15 secs (per one other post) - unit just powered itself off.  Tried pushing the RESET button for 5 seconds - no change)

NAS Navigator recognizes the drives, and the contents.  A PC that was logged in prior to the failure and power down is still able to access the data files. I just can't get to the maintenance screens to manage passwords, format the new HDD ......

HELP!

Thanks,

Bill Fuson