Author Topic: LIVE-CHL Apple time machine issues  (Read 13757 times)

caboche

• Calf
LIVE-CHL Apple time machine issues
« on: November 16, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »

Hello,

I have bought a new Linkstation LIVE CHL on Saturday.

I have a macbook under Mac OS X Leopard, all the features apple friendly itunes server, compatibility with time machine, iphone compatibility have guide my choice to this linkstation.

I have a problem with time machine.

I have parameter my likstation with the administration web interface to work with time machine (name and mac adress of my macbook and creation of the image) then i start time machine in the Apple tools by choising the folder on the LS and activtate it.

After a few minutes, i have a error message on mac os: "Time machine can't create the disk".

Is somebody has somme esperience with the nelw ls live chl ans time machine.

What are the steps, i have to follow in order to backup my macbook on the LS with time machine ?

An other problem: i have found the memeo life agent backup tool on the CD ? Where is it ? Haw can i get it ?

Thanks for your answers.

Caboche 

potorange

• Calf
Re: LIVE-CHL Apple time machine issues
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 10:59:11 AM »
   I didn't manage to backup my macbook with the Time Machine feature : I created a specific folder for time machine on the CHL. I then set up a time machine drive on the mac, no problem. When the backup starts I've got the following message : "Unable to mount babckup volume" (loosely translated from french) This is with leopard 10.5.2

potorange

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 04:39:35 PM »

After a few retries i've got now another message that roughly translate to

"Time Machine Error"

"Unable to create backup disk image." 

potorange

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 04:50:57 PM »

after investigating :

Time Machine backup is "preparing" whilst a temporary .sparsebundle folder is created and the bands/ subfolder is populating with band files.

When the preparation phase ends the .sparsebundle folder has disappeared from the disk and Time Machine displays an error message "Unable to create backup disk image".

Should I create a thread for this specific issue ? 

newrome

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 09:06:15 PM »

Follow the instructions here to create the sparsebundle locally. Then copy it to the folder you have designated as the Time Machine folder on the LS. Doing it over the network will not work and continually generate the error messages mentioned in this thread.

http://www.readynas.com/?p=253

This is obviously yet another bug in the new LS. 

potorange

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 11:48:46 AM »
   Thanks newrome, however > This is obviously yet another bug in the new LS. Not quite, it looks like a more general bug in TM with NAS AFAIKS : http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20080420211034137 http://roncox.org/12

potorange

• Calf

wuffles

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 08:53:37 AM »

Used the instructions in that link and they worked perfectly. Just need to be able to delete my torrent folders now and I'm all sorted - I know I know, new firmware is due.

Thanks for the link.

http://www.readynas.com/?p=253

ebmartin

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 01:54:42 PM »

Just wanted to share my experience.  I was having similar trouble getting time machine to work.  As it turned out, I was trying to use the Airport MAC address instead of the Ethernet MAC address.  

I realized this when attempting the more involved steps to fix.  When I checked the MAC address using Terminal commands "$ ifconfig en0 | grep ether", I realized my mistake.  I tried the Linkstation steps again and it worked like a charm.

Hopefully this will help someone else and prevent them from having to create sparsebundle maually.