Author Topic: Linkstation Pro Duo (Mac OS X) - Accept incoming network connections?  (Read 13604 times)

apcarty

• Calf

Hi,

I have a bought a 1TB Linkstation Pro Duo for use with my MacBook which seems to be working as expected but with 1 little annoyance!  Every time I boot up the MacBook I get a message "Do you want the application NasNavigator2.app to accept incoming connections" after which I have to enter my administrator password after clicking the 'Allow' button. I know this is to do with the application firewall but I have set the firewall to allow incoming network connections for NasNavigtor2.app but I am still getting this message every time. Can anyone please give me any pointers to what I need to do to prevent this from happening?

Mac OS - 10.5.8

Linkstation Model - LS-W1.0TGL/R1-V3

Linkstation Firmware- 3.09

NasNavigator2 - 2.22

Many thanks,

Andy

apcarty

• Calf
Re: Linkstation Pro Duo (Mac OS X) - Accept incoming network connections?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 05:12:28 AM »

By the lack of any response, does this mean no-one has ever experienced this??

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 04:06:12 AM »

I haven't heard of this actually, I am assuming it has something to do with security software on the computer.  Have you installed any sort of protective software?

msienkiewicz

• Calf

I have had the same thing happen with my Linkstation and my MacBook running 10.6.x.

Yes, it does have to do with the application firewall supplied with the MacOS and it does happen even though the firewall has been set to accept incoming connections from NasNavigator2.

I saw something in a KnowledgeBase article at Apple one time, just looked it up again and here is the link

For an application to be able to be automatically allowed by the firewall to accept incoming connections it needs to be digitally signed by a Certificate Authority trusted by the system.  For unsigned applications the MacOS puts up the dialog we have seen, and if you choose 'Allow' the MacOS will digitally sign the application and add it to the 'allow' list.

Here is the point that applies to the NasNavigator2 software:

"Some applications check their own integrity when they are run without using code signing. If the Application Firewall recognizes such an application it will not sign it, but then it will re-present the dialog every time the application is run. This may be avoided by upgrading to a version of the application which is signed by its developer."

So it looks like what we need is a version of the NasNavigator2 software that is digitally signed by the developer using a Certificate Authority trusted by the system.

The only other way to prevent the dialog from appearing every time you boot up would be to turn off your firewall.  Maybe you don't want to do that though.  I don't want to, myself.   It is quite aggravating to have to respond to the dialog every time though.

roblicsw

• Calf

I have had exactly this problem with my Linkstation Duo  (LS-WX2.0TL/R1) and NASNavigator2. I run Mac OS 10.6. My firewall is properly configured for NASNavi2. 

Having said that, I also get the same dialog  with Firefox when I am downloading a file from site like Rapidshare..

In all cases, if I do nothing the dialog box goes away, but that causes even more delay

jentyk

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 01:17:50 PM »

Dear Support,

Guys, please do somethiong about it. Whne my firewall is on I'm being bombarded constantly with the same question!!!

Even after adding NASNavigator2.app to my firewall white list!!!

Have a mercy!

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 01:39:43 PM »

Interesting, the post originally states you were running NAS Navi 2.22 have you tried upgrading the Navi program here?

msienkiewicz

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 09:01:51 PM »

I can't speak for the OP - however I am running NASNavigator v2.26 which I think is the latest version.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 12:02:31 PM »

roblicsw wrote:

I have had exactly this problem with my Linkstation Duo  (LS-WX2.0TL/R1) and NASNavigator2. I run Mac OS 10.6. My firewall is properly configured for NASNavi2. 

Having said that, I also get the same dialog  with Firefox when I am downloading a file from site like Rapidshare..

In all cases, if I do nothing the dialog box goes away, but that causes even more delay

For the record if the same thing happens in another application within the OS then it's not just our application that's giving this problem.  Sounds a lot like an Apple fix is necessary with their firewall rather than the NAS Navi program.

msienkiewicz

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 07:17:47 PM »

Reiterating the point I made above

1) The Mac Application Firewall software will digitally sign the applications that you allow to receive connections through the Firewall, and will not have to display the dialog again

UNLESS

2) the Application Firewall detects that the software in question performs an integrity check on itself... in which case it would not be a good idea for the Mac to alter the software - right?

" If the Application Firewall recognizes such an application it will not sign it, but then it will re-present the dialog every time the application is run. This may be avoided by upgrading to a version of the application which is signed by its developer."

I don't think it is unreasonable to want digital signatures on the applications that are allowed to receive connections through the firewall to certify they are "legit".  Apple even offers to sign the unsigned applications - except when changing the application would break it!  So I think it is Buffalo's move here, not Apple's.  

?

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 02:40:52 PM »

I'll submit it as a possible bug in the software.  An update will be made when the opportunity is given, although I am also going to note this is an isolated issue to a couple of Mac users.

oliverhastings

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 04:22:32 PM »

I beg to differ... I am also suffering with the same problem (and running v2.26). Unless my mac firewall is switched off, I continuously get asked whether to allow incoming connections or not.

Please experdite your raising of this issue, I'm sure it won't just be the few of us suffering soon.

kaymc

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 04:56:47 AM »

Ditto. Am on NASnavigator 2, v2.26, with a 2tb Linkstation Live. I get the popup over and over again, no matter how often I click Allow.

Really annoying.

zxzasa

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 10:33:21 AM »

yeah, thats really anoing

id change it for http://www.protemac.com/netmine/

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 10:56:17 AM »

Interesting how this is only occuring on the MAC firewall and no other piece of software from the tens of thousand of ones available. But no, MAC users being MAC users must insist that the fault lies with the other device, not the glorious MAC and/or its software of course :roll:

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!