Author Topic: DLNA support for Linkstation & Samsung TV  (Read 39583 times)

nnhood

• Calf
Re: DLNA support for Linkstation & Samsung TV
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2012, 03:08:44 PM »

MVIX makes some very good products with MKV support as well as other types of files.  They are more tailored toward the streaming media end of the market rather than just storage.

oi_son

• Calf
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2012, 07:17:27 PM »

Hi Everyone

I am new to the forum and new to a NAS. I have recently purcahsed a Buffalo LS-QVL.

I am also unable to play MKV files on my Samsung TV with an error showing "No Supprted File Format". I also cannot Fast Forward, Rewind or Pause any movies that I am watching from the NAS. Another thing is that the movies do not resume if you close and re-open them. These functions all work ok when the files are placed on a USB storage device and that is plugged into the TV.

Here is my setup for Buffalo to take note of.

Samsung TV - PS58C7000 (Australian Model)

Samsung TV Firmware - T-VALEUC-3011.0

NAS - Buffalo Linkstation (LS-QVL/E-AP) - 4x 2TB Sumsung Barracuda HDD

NAS Firmware - 1.58

All my devices are plugged into my network with cables and not wireless.

Are these issue going to be resolved with the June firmware update with a newer version of Twonky? If it isnt then I will go out and buy a WD TV Live box and plug that in as well. I was hoping not to spend much more money on this as I thought the NAS would be able to do the same functions as simply plugging in a USB HDD.

I have read several forums about this over the weekend. I found there is a way to hack the Samsung TV with SamyGo however I have the latest firmware for my Samsung TV and it only works with older firmwares. From what I have gathered the hack allows you to make the TV think that the NAS is a Samba share which will allow MKV files to be played just like they work on the USB drives. This sounds good but I would like to see if this can be resolved at a NAS level before hacking into my TV. I also read that the Samsung TV does not supprt MKV files over DLNA. But with Twonky on the NAS I suppose it is the NAS that is playing the file and not the TV.. correct?

Another thing. When I turn my TV on it does not start the NAS automatically. But when I turn my PC on the NAS starts up no worries. Is this because I have the NASNavigator2 software installed on my PC? It would be good if I turned the TV on and the NAS woke up.

I hope this is enough information?? If not please let me know what else you need.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards

Jason

axe

• Tatanka
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2012, 07:01:17 AM »

I also read that the Samsung TV does not supprt MKV files over DLNA. But with Twonky on the NAS I suppose it is the NAS that is playing the file and not the TV.. correct?

Another thing. When I turn my TV on it does not start the NAS automatically. But when I turn my PC on the NAS starts up no worries. Is this because I have the NASNavigator2 software installed on my PC? It would be good if I turned the TV on and the NAS woke up.

Twonky is NOT a player-software ! It is ONLY a streaming software.  Reads the bytes and sends the bytes to a device which has to be able to play this kind of format.

Yes, NasNavigator does the wakeup.  No device with NasNavigator (or any other tool sending UDP packets on port 9 to NAS device) no wakeup.

oi_son

• Calf
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2012, 07:22:24 AM »

Thanks for your reply 'axe'.

So can I be sure that the new version of Twonky will let me play MKVs on my TV?

This is a copy from the Samsung DLNA guide I found..

Samsung DLNA Guide

"Compatible files:

DLNA-supported file types and extensions are listed below.

Music – MP3 (.mp3)

Photos – JPEG (.jpg, .jpeg)

Video – MPEG1 (.mpg, .mpeg) MPEG2 (.mpg, .mpeg, .trp, .ts, .tp) DIVX (.mpg, .mpeg, .avi) MPEG4 AVC (.mpg, .mpeg)"

Remember.. the TV plays MKV files over USB without any issues.

MKV is not listed for DLNA...

axe

• Tatanka
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2012, 10:05:24 AM »

oi_son wrote:

So can I be sure that the new version of Twonky will let me play MKVs on my TV?

http://twonky.com/support/index.aspx

Why can't I get my Samsung TV to work with Twonky software?

First, confirm that your Samsung TV works with Twonky software. You can view a list of Samsung TVs that work with Twonky software here.

Samsung's 2009 TVs can be externally controlled without any changes to the settings. Samsung TVs from 2010 sometimes need to have the following settings changed before they can be controlled using Twonky software:

Use your Samsung handheld remote to navigate here: Menu > Application > Content View > AllShare and then press ENTER.
Make sure "Media" is set to "On" by pressing the ENTER key.
A warning may appear informing you that media sent from a mobile phone or other device will be displayed on your TV. Press "Allow" to allow media to be sent. Please refer to the User's Guide that came with your TV for more information on this.

back to questions

What formats can Twonky serve to external devices?

TwonkyManager and TwonkyServer can stream the following file formats:
Music: MP3, WMA, WAV, 3GP, M4A, MP4, LPCM, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, MP2, AC3, MPA, MP1, AIF
Photo: JPEG, PNG, TIF, BMP
Video: MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG2-TS, MPEG4, AVI, WMV, VOB, DivX, 3GP, VDR, ASF, MPE, DVR-MS, Xvid, M1V, M4V

Ergänzung:

MKV ist kein Videoformat sondern lediglich ein Containerformat.  Dadrin können sich unterschiedlich codierte Videos befinden!

Erläuterung des MKV Containerformats siehe

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska

D.h.   Ob der Samsung ein MKV abspielen kann ist vom Videoformat im MKV abhängig.  Deshalb wird im Samsung DLNA Guide MKV auch nicht genannt weil MKV kein Videoformat ist!

migzy

• Tatanka
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2012, 04:07:47 PM »

followed these instructions for my samsung ue32D5520 mkv works a treat from my ls-wxl now

little bit slower accesses the files but still excellent and also better than nothing

http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/Root_access_for_D_series_Mstar_cpu_models

karpas

• Calf
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2012, 05:53:36 PM »

Hello to all.

I just managed to play mkv files on my Samsung D8000.

I try first to change the file extension from .mkv to .avi or .mpeg or mpg but the containing folder disappeared!

Finally I changed the extension to .ts and it works!

Hope to help you.

Samsung D8000 FW 1.24

LS_CHL 2 FW 1.60

SimonC

• Calf
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2013, 02:35:11 AM »

HI I was having the exact same issues with Samsung EU32ES5500 and linkstation live LS-X1.0TL-EU. Mkv files played ok from usb on TV but when streaming from NAS would see the files but report that video format not supported. After renaming the file extension to .TS from .MKV I can now play the files and it still works with  the Boxee Box connected to the other TV

Brilliant TIP

ShadowTech2008

• Calf
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2013, 02:23:01 PM »

Hello; I have the LS-WX4.0 (Link Station Duo 4TB). I have not rooted anything. I'm running the Twonky Media Server and using my Netgear NeoTV (NTV300SL). I'm able to play MKV's; AVI's; MP4's; FLV's, etc.  The problem I'm running in to is that I cannot get my .srt subtitles to play. They work on my PS3; but they do not work in VLC media player, windows media player, window 8 media player, x-box live player (on windows 8), or the Netgear NeoTV. I've read that in Twonky version 7 this issue has been fixed.

The problem is that I cannot update my version of Twonky server on my NAS station (at least without rooting it and voiding my warranty). So I'm wondering; is there a way that I can update to the latest version of Twonky on my NAS? if so; how would I go about doing this. (please note I do not want to void my warranty if I can avoid it). Also what version or download should I use when updating my Twonky Server.

Thanks for any help you can provide for me in advanced.