Author Topic: Is there a way to?  (Read 3053 times)

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
Is there a way to?
« on: December 22, 2009, 06:46:15 PM »

Re-Start a Linkstation Live while on the road using either WebAcces or another way. Since my Linkstation is "special" and has issues it tends to freeze up and sometimes hide folders. The only way to get it to work again is to sign one to the web interface and restart the system. Is there a way to do this while on the road either by a cell phone web browser or by using my laptop at a wifi spot?

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: Is there a way to?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 02:50:35 AM »

You can try accessing it by typing 'WAN IP:80'.

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 10:59:42 AM »

Sorry for the dumb question but which one is the wan address? Is it the address that the router gave the LS? If so it tells me that the address could not be opened. If I try it from my home on my laptop which is on the same network it works, but I want to be able to do it while on the road. Either on my iphone or on a wifi spot around town. Any ideas?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 11:35:34 AM »

your wan address can be gotten from your router. You need to forward port 80 on your router to the local IP address of the linkstation (usually 192.168.x.x)

Once this is done and your away from home, open a browser and in the address bar type : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80 (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx denotes your wan IP) => enter => you will then be asked for the username and password for the linkstation.

You need to bare in mind that your WAN IP address can change, so a better solution would be to use dyndns (if your router supports it, but most of them these days do :))

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 12:27:59 PM »

Thanks Davo, I must be doing something wrong. I did the portforward and nothing, my router has this thing called Virtual Server which is what I set up for the WebAccess which works perfect but when I set it up for this access it doesnt work. Do I need to do anything to the NAS? Its a Linkstation Live.

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 12:40:59 PM »

One other question, how does my iphone or laptop using wifi know its my Buffalo NAS, Im sure im not the only one using an address like 192.168.1.200 or something like that?

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 12:52:25 PM »

Sorry Guys, I got it now. When you guys kept saying I needed to enter the ipaddress I was entering the ip address of the Linkstation, what I need to do is forward the port for the Linkstation and then on the web browser I need to enter the ip address that in my case Comcast Cable gives my modem. its a 24.19.187.98:80, this is obviously  not my address but you get the idea. It worked, but I see what davo means by the address changes. The cable company will change this address often. I will try other way you explained. Thanks all for your help.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 01:22:29 PM »

No problem mate, glad i could help ;-)

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 01:23:41 PM »

Ok so lets talk about DNS:

This is what my router has to say about dns and I think this is the option I want to check, am I correct?

DNS Relay When DNS Relay is enabled, the router plays the role of a DNS server. DNS requests sent to the router are forwarded to the ISP's DNS server. This provides a constant DNS address that LAN computers can use, even when the router obtains a different DNS server address from the ISP upon re-establishing the WAN connection. You should disable DNS relay if you implement a LAN-side DNS server as a virtual server.

DumbTechDude

• Tatanka
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 02:26:02 PM »

Heh Unhappy09,

It's easy to sign up for a DDNS service.  You need a domain server to redirect WWW traffic to your Linkstation for which your router itself can not do.   Most routers have a heading under LAN management called DDNS.  This is where you will enter all the blanks.  dyndns.org or no-ip.com are 2 examples of popular DDNS services people use.  Most routers have entries for these 2 services already built-in (Linksys and DLINK top end stuff) and the advantage of this is that, the router can do the DNS updating for you when ComCast changes its IP address.  If you do not have a router that does DDNS, you need a computer that will monitor this change or a NAS that does this.  I'm not sure about the Linkstation Live, but my Synology NAS box comes with DDNS as well as my DLINK router.

Hope this helps.

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 02:59:08 PM »

I think that by enabling the DNS Relay on my router it does it itself. At least that is what I think. I will restart my cable modem and see if it gets a new ip address and see if the router forwards it. Lets see