Author Topic: Linkstation Pro Duo Password Reset  (Read 39625 times)

kevin

• El Toro
Re: Linkstation Pro Duo Password Reset
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009, 03:19:28 AM »

Paul wrote:
There is an option in the firmware to keep admin password if the unit is reset.  If this option is set then it will not default.  I would back up your data and send it in for an RMA.

I agree.

To update FW, you need to type in a password. 

It wouldn't be good security if you... set the unit to not reset the password (for security reasons) but then you are still able to reset the password.

alamba

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2009, 03:24:49 AM »

The thing is I remember the password, just used it 12 hrs ago, its just stopped working. I'd consider it a device issue rather than a user issue. Backing up 2TB worth of data is going to be quite a job. Could you point me to the RMA process?

A

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2009, 03:35:36 AM »

Try doing a Force Update of the FW. When you go to the "Debug Options" of the Updater, you also want to check "delete user config". You do not need to boot the unit into EM mode, but if it is not accepting your password or the default "password", then boot into EM mode.

alamba

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2009, 03:56:38 AM »

I'm sorry, how do I do a force update? Or get into the debug options? Do you mean from NASNavi?

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2009, 04:00:57 AM »

Oops, forgot the link, sorry...

THIS will walk you through it.

alamba

• Calf
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2009, 05:23:08 AM »

Done and fixed kevin. Thanks for all your help. Now I just need to figure out why this happened.

Also, could you point me to a resource that explains the On-Off-Auto function in this box? I haven't quite been able to get my head around getting the box to sleep/shutdown on idle.

Lastly, is there a resource for integrating this with a samba implementation? My primary gateway and server is a debian/ubuntu box with samba installed (in workgroup mode) and I've tried the settings in the advanced configuration page but it doesn't authenticate users from the samba server.

A

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2009, 05:30:08 AM »

Glad you got it working!

Off- Unit will shut down and remain off

On- Unit will turn on and remain on

Auto- Unit will turn on and then can be set to sleep

When in "Auto" you need the Nas Navigator 2 running and when your computer shutsdown/sleeps the LS will be put into a sleep mode and then be waking up along with your computer.

Infact SMB (Samba) is the recommend way of connecting to the device and it runs Samba 3 (which you want to make sure you have on your OS).

alamba

• Calf
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2009, 05:49:01 AM »

Well SMB for file access yes I can see why that would be recommended way of connecting. However, can the box integrate with an external SMB imlementation for user authentication like it evidently does with active directory (dont know if AD works, don't need it).

A

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2009, 06:04:55 AM »

I see, sorry I misunderstood!

Yes/no... You can Delegate authority to an External SMB (workgroup section) and when a user tries to access the folder created for that, there name will then be pulled. Though it's only supported to work with AD.

alamba

• Calf
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2009, 08:33:00 AM »

Cool. Thanks again for all your help. In order to safeguard against this happening again, I've created another internal user (as an alternate way to get in if user admin gets unreachable again) - however I don't seem to be able to give him admin privledges. Is there a way to do this? I don't see anyway of adding him to the admin group or granting him those priveledges.

A

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2009, 07:47:10 AM »
Unfortunately, the admin user is the only one who gets configuration rights to the NAS.

buckeyebry

• Calf
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2010, 08:40:01 PM »

I have the pro duo, 2GB version, and have been trying to update my firmware, and the password is not working.  I have tried the steps to reset to factory settings (which didn't work) and followed the instructions to try to force the firmware update software, which still prompted for a password.

I am having other issues with the linkstation, which is why I wanted to update the firmware.  NASNavi sees the drive on the network, but gives me an error "Could not open the shared folder.  Confirm drive status."  (whatever that means.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.  I haven't had this unit for very long.  It worked great at first, then started having this problem. 

Thanks!

rashid

• Calf
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2010, 01:15:39 PM »
   hi

dan

• Calf
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2011, 09:44:22 AM »

How do you do a forced update?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2011, 11:23:19 AM »

The force update procedure is all in FAQ 2 of 5.