Author Topic: How do I connect my hard drive to my PC to remove data using LTOOLS?  (Read 6376 times)

williamusher

• Calf

My dreaded time wasting NAS Linkstation Live (500 GB) has finally packed up after costing me ridiculous amounts of time and £ in tech support. Now I can't access the share drive and don't have the money to pay for data recovery. I've been told that I can use LTOOLS to retrieve the data.

Does anyone know if there are any instructions online for removing the internal hard drive? (I know it voids warranty). What kind of cable can I use to connect the hard drive to the PC? I'm not a computer tech kind of person so any help appreciated. Am I being stupid in thinking that the internal hard drive wouldn't have any connection ports like USB etc? Or does it?

Thanks

Will

This is truely the worst product i've ever bought. 

Message Edited by williamusher on 11-16-2008 04:34 AM

gueroson

• Calf
Re: How do I connect my hard drive to my PC to remove data using LTOOLS?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 08:26:29 AM »

Inside is a regular SATA hard drive. Fairly easy to remove and connect to a PC as a slave drive, but that won't be the issue....

If I remember correctly, the drive is formatted in an XFS file system, which cannot be mounted in windows. It appears that LTOOLS only supports older linux file systems and cannot read an XFS drive. 

If you do a little research you'll see that XFS drives can be mounted in a linux based operating system such as Ubuntu. If you had a computer running Ubuntu (or even a portable version like on on a Live CD), it may be possible to mount the drive and read/backup the data with some know-how.

williamusher

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 01:15:04 PM »
    Well Buffalo 'tech support' told me to do it using Windows and LTOOLS.

Paul

• Big Bull

Matt_M

• Buffalo
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 06:56:09 PM »
Honestly XFS support in Windows is unstable at best when it actually works. Your best bet is going to be to download a Linux live disk (I would recommend Ubuntu for its ease of use www.ubuntu.com). Once you have the disk burned you can just boot off of it with a fully fucntional environment, no need to install. From here you should be able to read the drive from your NAS drive and copy the data off of it to another source.

williamusher

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 04:18:20 AM »

Ok thanks for that.

On the physical side of things; when I finally remove the hard drive how do I connect to it? I've never done this before. USB?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 04:51:59 AM »
   Honestly if you have to ask how to attach a drive to a PC then i would recommend you get a professional to do it. Im not being condesending i just think you might do more damage or inadvertly screw up your PC.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

williamusher

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 06:56:02 AM »

Well not really mate. Its all a matter of learning. It doesnt mean that because I don't know how a hard drive connects to a PC that I wouldn't be able to learn this and then remove it, connect it, install Ubuntu etc. I'm an engineer, a machinist, a practical person, just not a PC tech man and I haven't looked into this yet > i've never had to do this before in my life, hence the question. Were you born with a innate knowledge of computer technology or did you learn it? If you come across a point in your life that requires you to learn something to solve a problem, do you just pay someone else to do it without asking questions first? No, i think not, so how about less of the patronism. I'm sure there're many things in life that I could give you a lesson on.

There's no way i'm paying a 'professional' to do something like this and i'll find out the answers whether its through this forum or another route.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 07:36:09 AM »
   Ok so, dont forget to wear a static wrist band then, we wouldn't want your PC to blow up in your face now would we ;) Anyways google the make of your PC and get the manual, it should contain all the info your require.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

williamusher

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 06:57:58 AM »

Ok i've removed the hard drive and bought a USB to SATA connection box. I tried to install Ubuntu but after several attempts I’ve found that I can’t use Ubuntu with my graphics card. For example;

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=189752

Is there any other simple way of doing this? Any other operating system that I can use with a live CD to get the data from the hard drive?

Thanks

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 12:33:44 PM »
You can try to use the software from earlier in the thread with a windows machine.