Author Topic: Cannot copy files to USBdisk1 on Linkstation Mini  (Read 7369 times)

balff

• Calf
Cannot copy files to USBdisk1 on Linkstation Mini
« on: November 16, 2008, 02:22:05 AM »

Greetings,

Today I just upgraded the external hard drive on my LS-WSGL932 Linkstation Mini to a 500MB hard drive.  Earlier I had a 320MB drive attached to it.  The file format is FAT32. 

Ever since then none of my computers can copy files to the external hard drive.  They all keep getting the error of "You need permission to perform this action."  The odd part is that the I can copy files to the internal Linkstation mini hard drive without any problems. Just not the external drive.  I can also upload files to both drives using the web option without any problems. Finally, the backup application included on the linkstation can copy files without any issues.

What am I missing?  Why won't the linkstation allow me to copy files to the external drive as a file share?  If it helps I am using both Vista and XP as the client and it's in a workgroup environment.

Thanks.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Cannot copy files to USBdisk1 on Linkstation Mini
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 11:27:47 AM »
   Reformat your external HDD to xfs through the web GUI of the linkstation and try again.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

balff

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 02:21:55 PM »

Hi Davo,

Thank you for your advice.  I just tried what you suggested and yes it worked.  Using the XFS file system allowed me to mount the share in Windows and copy files to the external hard drive when it's connected to the linkstation.

Sadly however, I must revert back to FAT32 for disaster recovery purposes.  If the linkstation mini were to go down, I need to be able to unplug the external hard drive and mount it directly on a Windows OS box.  For me trying to trackdown a XFS file converter in a DR situation is not my idea of time well spent.

At least the built-in backup software is able to write to it so for now I'm willing to work with this limitation.  Who knows, maybe Buffalo will someday come out with a upgrade that will take care of this issue.

randyfl

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 12:24:16 AM »

Can someone explain what the issue is here?  I just bought a LaCie hard USB drive to connect to the TeraStation and I'm seeing exactly the same problem as this poster.  We cannot write to this drive from a networked computer (either Vista or XP).  I really don't want to reformat this drive to something that my computer can't read if I hook it up directly.

I aslo connected an old Maxtor OneTouch drive to the TeraStation the same way and I could write to it just fine.  Both the Maxtor and the LaCie are formatted with NTFS. 

What's the actual problem is here?  Why is the Maxtor working while the LaCie is not?  Might a firmware upgrade fix the problem?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 08:30:19 AM »

The linkstations operating system is run a version of linix and the file system again is a version of linux. This file system cannot read NTFS based formats correctly. (With FAT32 you will be able to read data but not write to it)

In order to get around this you will have to format your external HDD into XFS (or EXT3) in order for the linkstation to be able to read and write data to an external USB drive correctly.

Hope this answers your question.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

randyfl

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 01:33:49 PM »

Thanks.  Browsing other posts, I was coming to that conclusion, davo.

The only part that still confuses me is why I could write to the Maxtor drive formatted as NTFS but not the LaCie also formatted as NTFS.  You say, "The file system cannot read NTFS base formats correctly." (I interpret this as 'operating system' thus Linux).   Does this mean that support is inconsistent or buggy?  If the OS can't read NTFS I would expect to get nothing from the drives at all.  Instead I'm getting read/write on one and read-only on another.  So just being NTFS doesn't seem to be the only factor.  There is clearly support of some kind for NTFS.

FYI, I have never upgraded the firmware on this device.  I believe it is version 1.12 (at work now so can't double check).  So, upgrading that is an option.