Author Topic: TeraStation HS-DHTGL/R5 firmware for maximum capacity wanted  (Read 9081 times)

eugeneg

• Calf

I have not been able to find a document to tell me the maximum capacity that my TeraStatio n HS-DHTGL/R 5 can handle - where may I find out this information please ?

Is there any (possibly open source) firmware that will increase the capacity to 4 * 2TB ? 

Thanks.

tanjl

• El Toro
Re: TeraStation HS-DHTGL/R5 firmware for maximum capacity wanted
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 06:52:29 pm »
Maximum capacity at that time of sales is 2tb. mine was just 1tb when purchased but funny thing was I tried upgrading to 1.5tb X 4 it works fine for couple of weeks then suddenly, the unit stop responding & shuts down. Replaced all 4X hdds again and ran tftp procedure and same thing happen. Installed back the old 250gb and everything back to normal. Did a lot of tests still can't figure out what actually happen. Anyway now using as 2tb as it's the max it can support.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 10:43:15 am »

Not enough power supplied to handle 2TB drives.

Goron

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 02:30:30 pm »

Simply NOT true!

Just upgraded TS-DHTGL/R5 running 2.14 with 4 * 2 TB WD green: Raid 5 is verifying atm.

Performance of Webinterface is as poor as with original 4 * 1 TB drives :(

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 02:43:39 pm »

I'm not saying you can't try it, and in some chassis it will work - but we didn't design the electrical system to power 4x2TB HDDs. The power could run under the 2TB HDD spec, or cause a failure later with the 2TB HDDs drawing more power than what is available in that unit. The Terastation Live was released with HDDs up to 1TB each - nothing of larger capacity was tested for compatibility with the electrical system.

Goron

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 02:57:58 pm »

Word! Ok, i replaced original 1TB drives with "green" series 2TB hdds. These --should-- consume less power, what could be the reason they were accepted ... atm itīs still verifying the initial build RAID5 ... weīll see.

As for your advice, iīll first benchmark and stresstest it, to see if it can provide enough power under load, thx for that hint!!! :)

EDIT:

According to that link: http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Category:TerastationLive i replaced the drives. I didnīt know larger drives werenīt officially supported ... my fault!

/EDIT