Author Topic: LS500GL and XP SP3 poblem?  (Read 4735 times)

BlackDog

• Calf
LS500GL and XP SP3 poblem?
« on: November 15, 2008, 11:44:57 AM »
   Help! My LinkStation LS-500GL is not accesible from my desktop computer after installing XP Pro SP3.  It is connected to my D-Link DIR-655 router OK and I know the IP address.  It still sends me status updates to my email so I know it's connected OK.  NAS Navigator doesn't "see" it at all.  I cannot ping it and I cannot access setup from Inerne Explorer.  Consequently, my memo backups are backing up.  I discovered that I can access the setup wirelessly from my ARCHOS 705 but is that any help?  I have tried disabling ZoneAlarm (v 8.0.059.000) and the windows firewall, but it makes no difference.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled NAS Navigator, but no joy. Has anyone else experienced this?

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: LS500GL and XP SP3 poblem?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 12:32:22 PM »

you can try to set a static IP on your PC of 192.168.11.10 then directly connecting the NAS to your PC.

After that I would update the firmware

BlackDog

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 02:49:27 PM »

Thank you Paul.  I will try that.  Is the static IP significant or can it be any address?  Obviously, I am not network literate, so please forgive my elementary question.  Thank you.

Message Edited by BlackDog on 11-17-2008 08:54 PM

Matt_M

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 04:37:22 PM »
SP 3 has caused a number of problems, one thing to check on that has commonly come up though. If you go to start -> run and type services.msc this should bring up your Windows service list. Within this list look for a service entitled Workstation, if you right-click this and go to properties make sure the startup type is set to automatic and the service status shows started.

BlackDog

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 02:54:10 PM »

Hi Paul and Matt, I had a comprehensive suggestion from Tech Support as follows:

Remove the Linkstation from the network, press the reset button at the back for 15 seconds and then release, wait 2 minutes and then power it down.  While powered down, connect it via ethernet to the network port of your PC.

On the PC, go to start, control panel, network connections and then right click on your LAN conection and selec properties, double click on the internet protocol TCP/IP and select "Use the following IP address" and set the following details

IP Address: 192.168.11.100

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

The Default Gateway and DNS entries can be left empty and then click ok and then ok/close your LAN connection properties and your control panel and wait 1 minute for the IP settings to be saved by Windows.

Power on the Linkstation and wait 2 minutes, disable all firewall and anti-virus software and check if you can connect to your shares and GUI also try reaching it from the Nas Navigator.

If you can then you should now be able to re-attach it to the network and also access the unit

Please check the Buffalo web site www.buffalotech.com (select eruope) and ensure you are running the latest firmware for your Linkstation

END

Unfortunately, this did not work at all.  There is something really odd about this.  My wife's computer that also backed up to this drive via the network also cannot connect.  The common denominator (bearing in mind that the router is not the issue here) is MS Windows SP3.

As I am unable to perform a firmware update that might solve the problem, the unit is effectively dead.  I can still access it through my Archos 705 though (wireless).

I have just had a thought though - I can try connecting my work lapttop directly to the drive.  Can one of you confirm the IP address to use - 192.168.11.10 as in this thread or 192.168.11.100 as per the Buffalo tech guy?

Thanks for everyone's support so far.  I'm learning loads from you.  Hopefully, I will have a successful conclusion. 

Matt_M

• Buffalo
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 04:30:26 PM »

The last octet of the IP address on your computer is not important, so 192.168.11.10 or 100 should work fine for getting to the Linkstation. Now, as I mentioned in my previous post SP3 does often times shut off the Workstation service needed to mount network resources, are you able to confirm whether or not this is currently enabled?

Also, one thing you may want to try is rebooting your computer and as it is coming up tapping F8 on the keyboard, this should bring up the Windows Advanced Startup options, from here select Safe Mode With Networking. Once in Safe Mode With Networkin, try to go to start -> run and type in \\(ip address of NAS) without the parenthesis and see if you're able to access the device from here.

BlackDog

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 05:30:58 PM »

Hi Matt_M, yes - I confirm that the workstation service is running OK.  I also started the UPnP service whilst I was in that screen and selected automatic.

Regarding booting to safe mode, I had tried that, but I'll give your suggestion a go.

Back soon.  Thaks again.