Author Topic: LS-WXL/R1 local network can see Twonky server but not shared files  (Read 1599 times)

Behaviour

• Calf
Hi,
Tearing my hair out with this one.
LX-WXL394 (R1 series), Firmware Version 1.74.

Re-set Windows 10 and now cannot access linkstation. Can ping through command prompt, can see linkstation in NAS Navigator2, can see in router software. Can access via wireless and wired connections that are not this windows 10 computer. So, assumption is that there is some setting in windows 10 that is blocking the connection. I have changed the IP from static to dynamic, reset the nas settings, turned on SMB1 in windows, the list goes on.

The helpful bloke at buffalo has kindly informed me that this model isn't supported by windows 10 and that the fact that it can be pinged means that the problem isn't with the nas.

What the heck am I missing? I don't want to carry on with partial functionality but am loath to bin the thing because it was working fine..

Help please gals and guys.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: LS-WXL/R1 local network can see Twonky server but not shared files
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 08:59:12 AM »
Usually issues like this are because of the SMB1 issue you mentioned. Another thing to look at might be windows firewall.

A more drastic solution would be to replace the firmware with its ~10 year old versions of these applications/protocols and replace it with a modern linux install and side step some of the issues related to unsupported protocols/etc.

You can find information and installer files here:
https://github.com/1000001101000/Debian_on_Buffalo

Behaviour

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 02:52:39 PM »
Thanks H(?). I've wasted weeks going through different permutations of solutions and getting nowhere. Made up my mind to bin the LS (any recommendations on a replacement?) so having a go at this installer will be a nice project. (i.e. I wont cry too much if I brick it :) )

I understand tech moves on, just annoyed that LS was working fine until I reset windows 10 - then problems.

Thanks for the answer and I'll post how I get on, even if it's tears.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 03:16:22 PM »
Sadly, I don't have any recommendations to offer. It all depends on what you plan to use it for and considerations like budget etc.

Keeping the old device around to experiment with Linux projects can be a great way to learn about that kind of stuff .....or at least it was for me. Admittedly these days devices like the RaspberryPI are available like that, unlike back then. Still, it's handy to have something that can work with hard drives rather than SD cards.

Behaviour

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 04:09:30 PM »
lol. 'Back then'! I started with a ZX Spectrum, so can relate! :) If it wasn't for keeping the fortnite generation happy, I wouldn't have had this problem. Thanks for the advice and help.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 04:20:35 PM »
You've got me beat by a little bit, I started on an Apple IIc.