Author Topic: Firmware region discrepancies  (Read 3795 times)

gueroson

• Calf
Firmware region discrepancies
« on: November 15, 2008, 10:02:14 AM »

Greetings, community! First post here, and I'm very glad to see that Buffalo has embraced the use of lithium forums to host an alternative customer support. I've seen it flourish at many other sites (Creative, Real, etc), and hopefully it will here as well.

Now for my problem. I've been browsing/searching the forums all morning, and have learned that a certain feature for my Linkstation Pro that I've been wanting has been included in a firmware update. Here's the thing, though... it's in a recent European firmware update, and I am in the US. 

I saw Paul post in a thread that "Each region has its own set of firmware.  You can not compare the 1.27 German firmware to the latest with in the US." What exactly does this mean? Are there seperate development teams in each region? Will a region's firmware only work on products sold in that region?

So here's my question: Is it safe to install this European region firmware on my US Linkstation Pro LS-320GL? Will I run into any problems?

It seems strange to me that the firmware for the LS Pro has been updated more frequently in the European region and has several fixes/improvements over the US firmware. Here, any updated firmware is non-existent since September 2007 (over a year!)

Thanks for reading

Message Edited by gueroson on 11-15-2008 10:07 AM

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Firmware region discrepancies
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 10:25:35 AM »

To be honest, i dont think you will run into any problems, Buffalo however cannot support this as technically it voids the warranty and support of the units.

If you do deside to do it then make sure you have a direction from the LS to your PC and static IP addresses set and all AV and firewall software is disbaled.

Or you can wait until it is released in the US :P

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

andreasauwaerte

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 10:25:46 AM »

Hi guerson - I sent an mail to the support and got an answer back - i am not shure if o got it n the right throat. Seems that there is really something running strange. But beside those things - i got an explicit remark from the support desk that I would loose any warranty AND support if i upgrade the US version.  For me thats now really something like the worst case. This means having bought somethig wich could be useless - or jailbreak it to be enabled to use. 

Summarizing - Yes I agree totally running this forum is a source of exchanged knowledge and support is a great service 4 your customors - his intention and aid can't said often and loud enough. Yes I agree it is confusing seeing very different strategies behind region developments. It may exist a reason - but the difference is how to transport this 2 the customers. 

Funny - you want to do it the otherway around.  

gueroson

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 11:48:07 AM »

davo wrote:

technically it voids the warranty and support of the units.

Hmm, well the warranty is already void (over a year old), so that doesn't really worry me...

davo wrote:

Or you can wait until it is released in the US :P

Do you think they will? I figured they discontinued development for the LS Pro to focus on newer models...

Speaking of which, since the LS Live and LS Pro are nearly identical from a hardware perspective, I've heard that it's possible to install the LS Live firmware on the LS Pro. Does anyone have any experience or insight to this? I wouldn't necessarily consider it, but I am curious.