Author Topic: LS-WXL Back-up via Windows 10 machine that wonn't discover the NAS share  (Read 1968 times)

NAR65

• Calf
Hi - apologies but i'm a bit of a tech newb; I've been trying to recover access to my LS-WXL Linkstation following the well-discussed Windows 10 issue around SMBv1/SMBv2.
I have changed the Windows 10 features to enable SMB1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support to 'enabled' (no joy) and have attempted to use the ACP Commander GUI to enable SSH access (continually tells me that "communication timed out", though it has let me set the Root password).
However, as I know nothing about Unix, and given that many much more tech savvy users of this forum have still failed to get their Share to reappear in windows, I wanted to ask whether using the NAS Navigator2 tools to run a back-up to a new Link Station (running SMB3) would back-up ALL of my current NAS content, including the invisible Share?   
Many thanks for any help anyone out there can provide

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
The GUI version of ACP Commander hasn't been updated in a long time and doesn't work with some models/firmware versions.

The newer version is pretty reliable at providing access via telnet:
https://github.com/1000001101000/acp-commander

If telnet doesn't work it provides a shell-like interface (option -s) that is suitable for most tasks.

NAR65

• Calf
Thanks very much for the link to the updated ACP Commander - however, I cannot run it on my windows machine (even after finding my way to jarfix [https://johann.loefflmann.net/en/software/jarfix/index.html] in an attempt to resolve Windows 10 issues with running .jar executable files ... and I reinstalled latest version of JAVA before trying this - 1.8.0_261-b12).

The question I would really like an answer to is the following:
Using the latest version of NAS NAvigator2 from my Windows 10 machine that will not discover the Share on my LS-WXL NAS, if I set up and run a back-up job to a USB hard-drive attached to the NAS, will this back-up successfully copy the Share to the back-up destination as well?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I pretty urgently need access to the data on my Share and I am willing to buy a replacement NAS (which supports SMB2 and higher) to get back functional if the back-up will work.

Thanks in advance for any help and guidance you can provide

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
As far as java/acp_commander goes It sounds like you just need to try from a terminal window.

USB backup is a separate function from smb shares, they should work independently.

NAR65

• Calf
Thanks "Big Binary Number" for your further response and for clarifying the independence of the two processes.
However, I fear I didn't make clear my 'newb-ness' or lack of proper 'IT skills'  :-[ - I don't know what 'run from a terminal window' is or how to do it ... all the links/forums I followed for 'can't execute .jar on Windows 10' led me to the 'jarfi'x solution which tells me I should be able to double-click on the executable once jarfix was run successfully (which I did as both an administrator and under the specific user a/c on my pc).
The time-sensitivity has declined as I found an old Win7 machine and have been able to copy across some critical files from the Share.

However, I'd still like to be able to continue to use the NAS - even if I repurposes as a back-up location to a new NAS.
So - (a) can you point me at an idiot's guide for running java programs 'from the terminal window' & (b) i don;t sem to be able to work out which current Linkstation models support SMB2 and higher - any idea?

thanks again    :)