Author Topic: Linkstation Live (v3) - After disk erase I21 (disk check) never finishes  (Read 11101 times)

ronstarz

• Calf
   I have a LS-CHL Linkstation and completed a disk erase. After the erase completion the I21 - HDD internal disk check is running and has not completed in 2 days. I would appreciate any help as to how to reset the unit and stop the checking process as it seems to be hanging. Thanks.

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Linkstation Live (v3) - After disk erase I21 (disk check) never finishes
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 10:35:26 AM »
Use the reset button in the back of the device then flash the firmware to prevent this from happening again.

spqr

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 07:22:25 AM »

I have similar problem with my LS-CHL, firmware 1.02. After erasing the disk (took a few days) it has not finished checking the disk. It's been at it for over a week now. Logging in with browser says "Currently a Format or Disk Check is being carried out." and all options are grayed out.

NASnavigator says "I21: „Éá„Ç£„Ç?„ÇØ1„ÅÆ„Éá„Ç£„Ç?„ÇØ„ÉÅ„Çß„ÉÉ„Ç؉??„Åß„Åô„ÄÇ" and also the blinking light indicates I21 which is disk check. NASnavigator also points out that internal HDD status is "Un-formatted".

I've tried turning the unit off and back on again as suggested (http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&thread.id=1977) and turned it on with holding the function button down. With no success at all.

What do you mean with "reset button in the back of the device"? Could you please specify?

What options do I have for fixing this? 

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 08:41:00 AM »

depending on your version of the live you will have a init (reset) or a function button.

Youhave to shut the unit off, wait about 90 seconds till its off. Nowwhile holding the function button turn the unit to "ON" and continue tohold the function button for 6 seconds. This should reset the passwordto "password" and you can then change it from there. Now once it powerlight stops blinking blue and turns green try to log in and see if itchanged..

spqr

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 09:24:24 AM »

Thank you for your reply.

I've done exactly that, started the unit while holding down the function button, several times now. No success.

Maybe something went wrong during the erase? NASnavigator's "Un-formatted" report would support this assumption. This might be why the web software never gets past the disk-check.

How can I re-format the drive? All options from the web panel are greyed out so no help there. Any ideas?

I read something about tftp at another forum...

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 10:55:52 AM »
First I would update the firmware on the unit, for a how to search the forum for force firmware.

spqr

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 11:42:28 PM »

How can I force the firmware update on a Mac?

I followed these instructions

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&message.id=277&query.id=52541#M277

Editing the .ini file (versioncheck=0, debug=1) does not seem to allow update and I can't find a debug menu on the OSX version of the updater program. Is this even possible on a Mac?

Well... I guess this will have to wait until I get my hands on a Windows PC.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 10:22:29 AM »
You will need a pc for this, at this time, it can not be done with a MAC

spqr

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 10:41:37 AM »

This is actually quite weird. My Linkstation seems to be working now.

I did NOT do anything to fix it :)

I had turned the box off the day before yesterday, and the switch on the back was in "off" position. Today I took a Windows computer home from work and thought I'd give the firmware force update a go. However all lights on the box were still on and apparently it had not shut down as it should. Well, I turned the switch to "on" and extempore tried to log on with my browser once more.

This time the browser interface complained about malfunctioning fan and all selections were active! I promptly entered disk management, verified that the disk indeed was unformatted and formatted it. Rebooted the box, enabled a few shares and...

Everything seems to be working fine!

Now I'll need to run a few tests. I can't explain this behavior, but perhaps someone else can? Maybe it just took two weeks to get the disk check through, maybe there was something wrong with the fan (this actually worries me a little) that got the box out of a infinite loop or maybe the box just decided that it had goofed around enough and finally came to it's senses.

Thanks for the help anyway.