Author Topic: Wishlist for the next firmware revision for LS QUAD  (Read 2629 times)

Kameran

• Big Bull
Wishlist for the next firmware revision for LS QUAD
« on: November 30, 2009, 10:28:26 AM »

Please put all your requests for the next firmware revision in the idea exchange board

satelite

• Calf
Re: Wishlist for the next firmware revision for LS QUAD
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 01:28:50 AM »

Some settings to gui to disable and enable direct copy button... like turning it only to usb share to network.

And other thing what is good to fix is bittorrent client webui... it doesnt have any kind of password protection.

boopman

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 10:16:29 PM »

1) Better support for MAC - including ability to update firmware, tftp, etc.

• I was led to believe the Quad (fully) supported the MAC before I bought it, but find that I have to find a Windows PC in order to update the firmware.

2) More Backup options!!

• Ability to write to a USB drive formatted as HFS+ (or NTFS) - in other words not be forced to re-format a USB drive to use it. Many (if not most) people here appear to have bought the Quad for the purpose of backing up their computers, however, when they experience trouble, and lose their data, are told: "People should NEVER depend on one system to store all there data! ALWAYS backup your data to another device!". However, the Quad doesn't make backing up an easy task. If my only option is to back up to a locally attached USB drive, and I have to re-format it to a format that mt MAC (or PC) can't read, then having a backup copy of the data doesn't help me out at all!  I need to be able to read the backup!
  • Ability to automatically back up to another network share. Not necessarily another Buffalo product.

3) Ability to read (and backup to!!) a USB CD or DVD drive.

4) Overall improvement to reliaility. I've worked with business computer systems for years, and more recently 'PC" servers, and have never lost data due to a single drive failure in a Raid 5 set. Every system I've ever worked with continues to run with a single drive failure, and the drive can be replaced hot, data rebuilt, no users were ever impacted during a disk failure.  I know the Buffalo Quad costs less - but in the past year of ownership have experienced many issues that i can only explain as firmware-related issues. So far, haven't physically lost a drive, but have had issues with permissions (on the default 'share' network share!), drive powering off and taking days to come back on line, days to change from Raid 5 to Raid 1, - and losing the Quad n the process. From reading the forum it seems that other users have some of the same types of issues - it just seems the system should be more reliable!

When it's working, the Quad is a pretty nice box, and Time Machine support is a very nice feature!

gohmedia

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 12:42:50 AM »

1) Selective copying of files from USB storage

Currently, when you plug in a USB storage, you can either format the storage and make it a share or use direct copy to copy everything to the hard disc. There are situations where I would like to copy selected files from the USB storage instead (since its a faster transfer). Would it be possible to view the storage via web access interface and move/copy files across?

2) Support for > 1tb hard disks

Currently only supports up to 1tb per hard disk. Would be good if the LS can support up to 4x 2 tb disks

3) Log out button for web access interface

Currently the web access does not have a button for logging out of the web access

4) Torrent statistics

Good to have some form of charts that display the download speeds of the torrents over time

boopman

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 11:35:41 PM »

Access Restrictions:

In addition to the defaults of Read/Write and Read, it would be great if a user could Add a file, but be prevented from modifying the file.

rinthos

• Buffalo
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 12:18:26 AM »

When will there (if at all) be new firmware w/ new features for the LS Quad series?  It's been awhile and haven't heard any updates on this?