Author Topic: Terastation live - Cannot login using web interface with default password.  (Read 6383 times)

qmeson

• Calf

My issues started this morning when I got the E04 error. I removed drive no 1 and terastation was able to boot into safe mode.  I put the drive back in and it rebooted again in safe mode , this time giving me an error that my Drive 1 has failed.

I took out the drive and reformatted it using my PC. Meanwhile I updated the firmware of the Terastation to 2.14 ( latest available version).   AFter all this, the terastation booted well and found my old settings but the web interface was in Japenese.. 

I am not trying to login into this web interface (  to change it to english and than to rebuild raid-5 ).. but it wont allow me to login in with error in japenese saying invalid user name / password ( I used babblefish to translate)...  The same default "password" works fine for nas navigator ( with I'm here !!) 

Please help me out of this situation...  I will really appreciate..

Paul

• Big Bull
Hold in the init button in the upper right hand corner of the drive bay.  With the power on press this for 30 seconds to default the unit (you will not lose any data).

qmeson

• Calf

I have tried most of remedies already that I could search in these forums.. to me it seems to be a persistant problem on these units with no one standard solution.

- Tried holding the reset switch for 10 and 30 seconds. none worked.  I know that the unit is on default password since this works from NAS NAVOGATOR.

- I have tried reflashing with both 1.04 and 2.14 versions of firmware.

- I have tried all combination of "admin" and "password"

what else can I do ..  I have been able to back up my data overnight on an external drive.

qmeson

• Calf

Update..

I was able to telnet into the unit as root and atleast change the browser from Japenese to english ( using helps from forums etc).    But still nogo on brower login. I tried playing around with /etc/shadow ( by removing the admin password field) but it did not help.

Does anyone know how the web interface authentication works?  Is there a process I can follow to guarantee that unit is fully reset with defaults. At this point, I have backed up all my data to external drives...

qmeson

• Calf

After a day of struggle I gave up and re-flashed and forced the firmware asking the utitlity to reformat ( repartition ) my hard drive.

This worked and I was able to access the browser management..  Now I realized the following..  RAID5 is really a useless proposition on these cheap systems with poorly implemented hardware and software.  Chances are there will be a hardware/software failure much before Actual Disk fails. ( I never had a disk fail on me in last five years so may be I am optimistic).     If you already have this NAS, use it in Raid1 so you access full hard drive capacity... And develop another backup scheme for senstive data.

wmconlon

• Calf
Re: Terastation live - Cannot login using web interface with default password.
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 11:15:09 PM »

I wish there was an answer to this, since it's been perplexing me for more than a month.  The unit works fine as I last configured it, but I have had no luck accessing the web admin.  Likewise I have re-flashed and RESET the unit, plus accessed /etc/shadow to try  reset passwords.  I've also perused the cgi-bin/top.cgi file to try to figure out how to get access, but haven't figured that one out yet..

I really think re-formatting the drives  is not an acceptable solution.