Author Topic: Linkstation L w/ BT LS-CHL nonstop disk checking & how to update firmware  (Read 4089 times)

1critic

• Calf

Hi, I'm a bit of a tech ignoramus, so please bear with me. 

I got a 350G unit a few months back and it's been working beautifully until I had to do a Disk Erase (DE). Is it normal for a DE to last over 24 hours? Because when I accessed it last night after initializing the DE the night before, it was still displaying a Disk Format/Disk Check (DF/DC). Then when I checked again this morning, it displayed a Back Fan Malfunction. I powered it down, got some breakfast, then when I powered it back up, it was doing the DF/DC thing again. Now I'm left wondering how much longer I have to wait. 

What's wrong with my unit? How long is a DE/DF/DC supposed to last? What else can I do if the power down/up doesn't work? Will this happen every time I do a DE? 

Also, exactly what does firmware do? What are the advantages of updating, and how do I update mine? 

Thanks for any answer you guys can give. This is starting to get frustrating. 

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Linkstation L w/ BT LS-CHL nonstop disk checking & how to update firmware
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 07:25:48 PM »

A format should last no more than an hour? Try starting it while holding the function button. If that doesn't help then you might want to seek a replacement under warranty. 

1critic

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 07:53:15 PM »

Thanks. I'll do that tonight, see what happens. 

1critic

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 08:11:14 PM »

I tried doing what you said, to not avail. I held down the function button while powering up the unit, then pressed it again, at which point the unit began doing DF/DC again. I honestly do not know what else to do. Do you think it's time I have it replaced?