Author Topic: backup to USB without computer?  (Read 5477 times)

jspoon

• Calf
backup to USB without computer?
« on: November 24, 2009, 12:20:03 PM »

I did search the forum and went through pages of backup hits before posting this question.  I would have expected this to be a FAQ :-)

If you have one Buffalo LinkStation Pro LS-XHL and a USB attached drive, can the backups to the USB drive be performed without requiring a computer?  I suspect the answer is no, since the backup software provided is Windows based.  I do not have this setup, just considering it at this time.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: backup to USB without computer?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 11:26:20 PM »

No, not that I know of.

kristinacallis

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 01:08:08 AM »

I am sure that back up to USB without computer is not at all possible. A computer is a most.

Regards,

Kristina

daoswald

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 01:10:51 AM »

It appears to me that the first respondant didn't understand your question, which is surprising for a site moderator.  Of course I may be the one who misunderstood, so I'll attempt to restate it:

You're asking if it is possible to get your LS-XHL to back itself up to an attached USB drive without the intervention of a computer.  Your confusion is over the issue that the backup software that comes with the LS-XHL is windows based. 

There are two ways of looking at a backup.  You might be thinking of backing up from your computer to the LS-XHL.  In that case, the Windows software comes into play, as it is what drives that type of backup.  In this case it makes no sense to backup from PC to LS-XHL without the intervention of  a computer, since you are backing up the computer itself.  For a backup from a computer to the LS drive, OF COURSE you need a computer; that's what you're backing up.

But the other type of backup is from the LS-XHL to an attached USB drive.  For this type of backup, a computer is NOT required.  The NAS drive may stand alone with its connected USB drive, and all computers on your network may be shut off, or even disconnected from the network.  The LS will still back itself up to the USB drive.

However, for this to happen, you must set up the backup job initially.  A job may be set up to run itself automatically every day, and once set up requires no intervention to keep working on its own day after day after day.  But that initial setup requires that you log into the LS-XHL's web configuration interface, and that is done using a computer.  So the initial setup requires a computer, and after that you can pretty much forget about it and it will keep working even if the computer is gone.

There is the issue of what happens if a backup job fails for some reason (such as a failure of the USB drive, for example).  With no computer hooked up you won't be able to review the backup logs periodically to ensure the backups are occurring as you expected.  However, the LinkStation drives may be configured to email you in the event of an error, and I suppose you could even have that email sent to your email-capable phone.  So once again, aside from initial setup, a computer is not needed for backups to occur from the LS drive to a USB drive.

daoswald

• Buffalo
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 01:12:40 AM »

To everyone saying backups to USB without a computer can't be done, you're wrong.  The LinkStations can back themselves up to USB automatically without a computer being turned on.  Initial setup requires a computer but after initial setup is done, backups can keep happening according to the backup job schedule without a computer being present on the network.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 01:18:09 AM »

"To everyone saying backups to USB without a computer can't be done, you're wrong.  The LinkStations can back themselves up to USB automatically without a computer being turned on.  Initial setup requires a computer but after initial setup is done, backups can keep happening according to the backup job schedule without a computer being present on the network."

Correct Daos, I was assuming setting up a backup job was also part of "doing backups" and to do that you do need to access the web interface.  Without a computer you would not get the logs as you stated and the unit would have to be on on all of the time.  I wouldn't recommend it as you wouldn't see any errors that may occur.

kristinacallis

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 05:59:12 AM »

It is surprising that without computer being turned on you can transfer data on USB, can you show me any demo or video where such things had been carried on. Can you tell more about LinkStations.

Regards,

Kristina

daoswald

• Buffalo
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 02:31:57 AM »

The LinkStation IS the acting computer during backups to USB.  The LinkStation is the USB master, and the USB drive is the slave.  The LinkStation must be configured (using a computer, of course) to schedule automated backups to USB.  Once this has been configured, the computer needn't be turned on for the backups to USB to occur.  This is because the USB drive is plugged into the LinkStation.  Why is this so hard to understand? 

Case in point:  Every night my linkstation backs itself up to a USB drive that is plugged into it.  My computers on the network are usually turned off when this takes place.  The computers are in no way involved.  Even if I go out of town and take my notebook PC with me, the LinkStation will continue backing itself up nightly to the USB drive that's plugged into it. 

Imagine you have a light plugged into a timer.  Every day the timer turns the light on at 8:00pm, and off at midnight.  It doesn't matter whether you are home, or whether you turn on other lights in the home, the timer still turns the light on every night.  This is the same principle with the LInkStation; once you automate the backup, the computer needn't be present.

davidperez74

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 11:40:48 AM »

daoswald, you are hired! The answer you posted is what I expect from a Moderator not the usual, no you cant! I dont understand why they don't go in depth with the question. I know they have a few hundred questions and there is only 3 or 4 mods, but they really need to get on some of these questions. There are questions here that are 2 weeks old without any answers. I was told by one moderator that they answer questions on the forums at their leisure becasue during regular hours they are anwesring phoen and emails, well its been 4 days I still dont have an answer to my email. And I have a couple of questions that have gone unanswered. Its a shame that such a great product is getting such bad support. Sorry mods, I know  you are overworked and some of these questions seem "dumb" but if we are asking them its because we would like some answers.

By the way you are correct, if  you set up the backups int he webinterface to do the backup automatically to the attached usb then it will work everytime with or without the computer one. One thing to keep in mind though is that while its backing up you cannot access your media via a media server, you can access on the computer but it will be very slow. Backups can take as much as a couple of hours so be prepared.

julianjordan45

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 04:14:39 AM »

i trying to setup a USB drive to backup on my linkstation and keep getting errors.

The USB drive is NFTS file system i not sure if this is  the problem. if any could advice on the drive and reviewing the errors

thanks

cdsJerry

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 03:43:03 PM »

Can a second Linkstation Live be connected via the USB and used as the backup? (ie a USB cable connecting two Linkstations).    I've been connecting my second Linkstation via Ethernet and doing the backups but with 2TB of data and only a 100MB router the job never completes in a day and my purpose is to take home the backup every night in case of fire.

So our computers back up to Linkstation 1 at night.  During the day I backup Linkstation 1 to Linkstation 2 and carry it home with me.    This is required because the Remote backup software in the Linkstations only works on a WAN IP or when running on the same network.   I can't pass through my firewalls and just leave one Linkstation at home.  It won't work (have had MANY threads on this subject).

So I'm looking for a faster way to get my portable backup completed.  Hate to buy yet another drive but perhaps the only way to do this is a USB connected drive rather than a second Linkstation.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 12:42:33 AM »

Unfortunately the USB ports are only meant for printers and USB HDDs.  You cannot backup to another NAS through them.