Author Topic: LS-CH1.0TL Stopped working. Flashing blue lights  (Read 20331 times)

jezperrott

• Calf
LS-CH1.0TL Stopped working. Flashing blue lights
« on: November 23, 2009, 01:39:32 PM »

Hi, I'm new here and I'm not particularly computer literate.

I bought a Linkstation Live a couple of weeks ago so that I could stream my movies to my BD player downstairs easily and do away with my massive DVD collection.  It has been working like a dream.  Until tonight.

I have it set to turn on at specific times.  When it started up tonight, the blue light just flashed and flashed, like when it is booting up.  It didn't stop.  I did the whole reset thing and both lights just kept flashing.

The NAS navigator can't see it and neither can my PC.  Nothing has changed, there haven't even been any updates as I didn't use my PC today until I saw the device wasn't working.

So I read on this forum about it and it seemed like a good idea to reinstal, so I did.  The setup didn't complete.  It said the device didn't return the ip address.

Since that was done, the device flashed an orange light at the top.  It kind of goes flaaash, flash.  A longer then a short one, then repeats.  I can't make head nor tail of the codes in the manual, but I would think the NAS is telling me the same.  The bottom light flashes quickly, continually.

I've now read on here that perhaps I should do a special boot up, but it looks dangerous...  when I went to get the firmware, it said if I use the wrong one it will ruin the device.  I think mine is v2 as the link navigator CD says 'for LS-CHL  ver.2.1.0' but I don't know if the version number is the program or the device.  The whole process seems very long-winded and technical.  Not happy!

I've only had the thing for two weeks and it has already failed..  What should I do?  And am I to expect to have to have to do this kind of technical nursing often?

Help please, guys!

Or should I just return the device to where I bought it and ask for another?

There are loads of films on there too, which too ages to put on!

Thanks in advance.:smileysad:

pedellen

• Calf
Re: LS-CH1.0TL Stopped working. Flashing blue lights
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 02:23:20 PM »

Hi - same problem here.

Device: LS-CHL 1TB - Router: Linksys Wireless G 2,4Ghz - Cablemodem: Webstar (Scientific Atlanta) Lenovo Laptop U350, 4GB, 1,4 Ghz with windows XP Professional servicepack3 installet and fully updated.

Just bought Buffalo about a month ago - everything working fine, easy installation, but then yesterday it popped up with message EM-tilstand (EM-state) - i cannot in any way get in contact with my device after restarting, resetting and deactivating all firewalls and antivirus programs etc.

On my computer NasNavigator2 finds my NASdevice and show the following information:

IP: 192.168.1.101, and

Subnet 255.255.255.0, and

Defaulkt gateway: 192.168.1.1, which is all ok, and as usual, BUT what it does not find is my workgroupname - it says UNKNOWN

In my DHCP Active IP table it says: LS-CHL-EM7DB with IP: 192.168.1.101, and Mac: 00:24:A5:00:B7:DB, which is all correct.

So - please - what is the problem? And please, if i need to update firmware or anything please guide me because i did not yet find a way to get in contact with my device at all. It is just so *********** irritating, because as the other one stating - i used hours to upload content to this NAS, and all my private digital media from various vacations stored in this NAS. I really do need to get in touch with it ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

jezperrott

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 03:11:29 PM »

Can't be anything to do with the PC as mine runs independently most of the time...

pedellen

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 03:56:40 PM »

No - i have made no changes at all - it just stopped working - nas was online, but suddenly it popped up with this EM state error and no acces to either files or even admin interface.

And what is worse - i wanted to download newest firmware - even if i do not se why that should help as i did not make any changes at all - but to be able to download i must type my serial number - hmm, i do not know but i do not seem to be able to find a serial number anywhere on my device, and i was not able to find any help anywhere telling me where to find it.

I have been reading around the internet - and for what i can read it seems to me that quite a lot of people having problems with Buffalo NAS - and bad support as well - i think it is extremely frustrating not beeing able to find any answers, and the guide on errors is totally wrong and tells nothing about anything as far as i can see - and one more thing - i think it would be just a little bit polite if moderators of this forum would be so kind to send reply back when beeing contacted - or would that be to much to expect from a moderator??

If i am not getting any answers in this forum very soon, and still not able to find any answers on the internet - well, i think i must just accept that i have bought a poor product with very little value to me as a consumer - as i see it - i may be should have spend a little bit more money and bought a quality product in stead.

I really do think that alone the fact that a customer to fix problems with product will hav to be quite a computer geek is a fatal error from Buffalo - i nfact i think that Buffalo do not answer correct on putted questions as it seems to be answer like this:

well, you could try this, or you could try that or a third thing - that is not the way a customer is supposed to deal with a bought product.

In fact i am afraid that Buffalo hardware and software is just to bad quality.

So - please - a reply for god sake. Bought a product - not working = expecting answers to solve problem ASAP

jezperrott

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 04:30:28 PM »

Well, to be honest...it is the middle of the evening.  Nobody working I wouldn't think at the moment.  I'm sure they will reply as soon as they can.

Mine has serial number on the bottom on a strip label.  Also on the original box.

If this forum can't help, I'll be returning the product to get a replacement.  Reviews of this are very good.  Perhaps we just have bad ones.  People who have problems are the ones which get noticed...  It's a good product, I think.

Any help gratefully received, Buffalo!

pedellen

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »

Hmm - maybe you are right in some of your points - but if you do visit different sites and different newsgroups you will find quite a lot of people having problems.

And - the message sent to an moderator is now several days old - still no reply at all, and as you see with your own eyes noone answered our questions in this forum either.

And finally - it just cannot be right that you have to be a computer geek to be able to use a bought media for storage - so i still do belive that it is a bad product, and if not a bad product then it is were bad and not well tested software used in units.

It just cannot be correct that so many people have a problem with this NAS.

And - still as mentioned - no answers to questions.

By the way now my NAS either flashes quickly blue or 6 red flashes. Just after restarting it it starts to flash red 6 flashes - then i hold the button in for about six seconds and the quick flashing bluelight begings - and it never ends - just flashes.......................

And i am not sending in my unit, because i want to keep the harddisk and find a way to get my data back, and if i send it in i guess i get a new NAS back and then for sure all my data has gone.

As you proberbly can read from my writings, i am not the least impressed by this product, and the support given, and i expect no answers because of what i have been writing - well, all i can say is ok, no problem. I bought my last product from Buffalo - that is for sure! 

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 11:24:34 PM »

jezperrott:

The constant flashing blue light means that the unit is not fully booting up.  This could be due to either HDD failure or a lost boot image.  The first thing to do is troubleshoot the latter:

http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/FAQ-3-of-3-TFTP-boot-procedure-please-read-this/td-p/11015

After you get it to boot into em mode you can flash the firmware.

Pedellen:

You have a different issue entirely.  It sounds like it is just booting the firmware off of the ROM (em mode, where jez is trying to get).  You will need to flash the latest version of the firmware and you should be good to go.

pedellen

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 10:12:22 AM »

Well, hello again - i just did what was written in this article: http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/FAQ-3-of-3-TFTP-boot-procedure-please-read-this/td-p/11015 - and succeded in this - BUT after this it just keeps flashing the blue lights and do not reboot to EM mode as mentioned - so as i see it i am not getting any further - right?

So what to do now? If i disconnect power and restarts my NAS it simply starts up with 6 red flashing lights - pause and 6 red flashing lights again.

When i press the reset button it starts blinking blue flashes - and just goes on with blue flashes.

So - can anyone tell me what my problem is? How do i get on from here?

As i do make an ipconfig /all i get my NAS IP as 169.254.213.170, and also possible to see the NAS mac - but is there any way i can acces without using the navigator software that came along with my NAS?

jddkaappi

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 11:05:45 AM »

I had the same problem with my LS-CHL. I had the six red flashes and managed to update the firmware with tftp and now im stuck with some other leds (red/blue flash at startup) and can't see any of the files on the drive that i had uploaded.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 03:00:21 AM »

If it wont boot after reflashing the firmware then you have HDD failure and would want to contact support for a replacement (assuming the units under warranty)

pedellen

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 09:32:25 AM »

yeah, yeah - just send it in - but that is just no good because i have all my back ups on this nas, AND it is only one month old - very early failure i think? - so i decided to take out my harddisk from the nas and connect it as a second sata drive on my computer - after setting it up in bios it recognized the second harddrive but obvious this nas uses another fileformat so a normal 32 bit system cannot see the harddrive at all. Hmmmm - what then?

I tried to surf the net - still not finished searching for at solutiion, but one solution i know will work - but pt. not possible for me is to attach the sata harddisk to another computer running vista and 64 bit - then you can read data and take backup without any problems.

But as mentioned - i run 32 bit xp pro so this system do not recognize and accept the fileformat from the buffalo nas hd - when trying you get a message stating: This harddisk is in GPT-protection system - no drive letter is assignet, but stating the disk is ok showing 931,51GB available space.

So - no my harddisk is ok - it is simply the software running the buffalo nas that is not working ok - so i gave up and will solve my problem and getting my data back other way - one way or another i will fix this - and as mentioned before - i will NEVER ever be the owner of a Buffalo product - worked for one month and i spend hours and hours trying to get it up running again with only new problems to solve.

First it started up in EM mode - not able to flasjh it at all - then it turned from EM mode to blue flashing mode, then it turned to red blinking mode, then it turned to yellow/prange blinking mode - so my conclusion will be - keep away from Buffalo NAS products - they are no good and equipped with very bad both software and hardware. Good bye from me - i will work my way out of this and finally i will succed getting my data back - after that i will convert GPT to MBR and use the sata harddrive as drive number 2 in my computer.

I am just so disappointed about the lack of support and the lack of ideas to solve problems - my conclusion will be that to use buffalo products you will have to be sort of a computer geek - if not keep away................. and as before, i do not expect any answers to my post - because the answers given so far are no good at all and only got me other problems after doing as described.

CsAndrewR

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 09:29:05 PM »

Really disappointed guys.  This is my second Buffalo purchase - first was a 500gb a couple years ago.  Both are for PC support clients of mine.  This new one, the 1.0TB LCH, was purchased a week ago and installed at client location.  After one week of service - I have this very same problem you guys have been describing in this thread, and hits all over google searches about others with same issue.

The "fix" I've read so much about, by Buffalo support, is a FREAKING JOKE.  How often am I supposed to do this?  How can any "regular" customer possibly be expected to follow this very technical support procedure??  The fact that you guys KNOW this problem exists and SOLD this product with this DEFECT is almost criminal.  I thoroughly instructed my clients NOT to consider this device a sole-storage location, and they thankfully they listened.

I'm trying to decide if I should figure a way to format the data off the product before returning it to the store for a full refund, or just hand the p.o.s. over and figure it will be thrown away by Buffalo when they get it from the store.

How often does this FAILURE occur in these products?  Once a month?  Twice every three months?  Or twice a week and my client got lucky?

I can't possibly expect my clients to pay me to fix a poorly designed and supported piece of equipment on a regular basis.

sugill

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 09:11:07 PM »

I'm having the exact same problems as well,  My network drive is about 2 months old, I backed up everything to this drive before doing a clean install for Windows 7.  It worked for few weeks after, but now keeps flashing Blue.

I'm not tech savy at all, so when I read about flashing it goes over my head.  I sure hope Buffalo publish step by step guide for average Joe, as how to fix this.

Sam

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 11:30:53 PM »

This:

http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/FAQ-3-of-3-TFTP-boot-procedure-please-read-this/td-p/11015

is our step by step process for a unit that isn't booting up (which yours isn't because the power light should be solid).  If you have any questions about the process please ask and I will be happy to clarify anything for you.

millrlyt

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 06:54:14 PM »

How do I do this for a mac operating system?  Please help...