Author Topic: Installing Debian on LS220D - manual method  (Read 4691 times)

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: Installing Debian on LS220D - manual method
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2020, 09:58:59 AM »
Personally I usually just leave the fans on high on my devices, though I usually don't have them close enough to really hear. When I've used fan control it's usually been through trial and error, if the device started changing speeds constantly when idle I'd adjust the settings to make it stay at low/medium until under load.

I'd recommend setting it to run at least at low when the device is idle. Likewise, 60 is closer to a temperature where I'd set the fan to go to high rather than first turn on. The electronics may be able to handle more heat but you also want to keep an eye on the disk temperatures.

navawong2

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2021, 02:01:53 PM »
I tried to install Debian in my LS421DE but failed and stuck in boot loop after installation.  I put the NAS in recovery mode and use LSupdater to install the stock firmware 1.87-0.02.  No problem revoke back to stock but after revoke I cannot format HDD in webaccess kept getting error "Format failed. Make sure that the drive is not configured as read-only. Try rebooting the LinkStation."  I tried to user LSupdater debug to flash the HDD few times still doesnt work.  Check the HDD with USB dock station no problem with the HDD.  Did a Diskpart to clean all the partition didn't work.  I been using this WD Red 3TB few years no problem even before installing Debian I had no issue using this in stock firmware.  Please help thank you

Edit: fixed stupid me finally notice after Diskpart clean only showing 2TB free space.  Just needed to covert to GPT for the NAS to access 3TB.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 03:39:50 PM by navawong2 »

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2021, 03:42:29 PM »
a boot loop after debian install usually indicates that the /boot volume wasn't set up properly in the partitioning menu.

It's been a long time since I've added a disk via the stock firmware, I seem to remember needed to initialize before formatting or something of that nature. 

What I'd recommend is blanking both drives completely, then do a fresh install of the stock firmware which will also set up both disks. At that point you can make another attempt at a debian install.

If you do move forward with Debian you can post a screenshot of your partition layout to the github page before finishing that step, I can take a look and make sure it looks correct before you move forward.

navawong2

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2021, 10:14:40 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I gave up on installing Debian its way to complicate for me.  I will just stick with installing Transmission in my LS421DE.
Side note I only use one HDD for my LS421DE, I have no need for 2 HDD or worry about losing my data.