Author Topic: TS1200 hard drive failure running in degraded mode  (Read 1137 times)

fdefede

• Calf
TS1200 hard drive failure running in degraded mode
« on: August 21, 2020, 06:59:33 AM »
I tried to get support, but it doesn't recognize my serial number which I got right off of the unit.  I took a picture, but it won't upload and doesn't tell me why.  I believe I had this problem a few years ago, and I was able to call tech support, but can't find a phone number.

I think I just need to pick up a new 4TB drive and then rebuild the array, but I am not sure.  I don't want to destroy my data.

Any help or suggestion is much appreciated.

Thank you

phred

• Calf
Re: TS1200 hard drive failure running in degraded mode
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 03:16:40 PM »
Did you ever get your issue resolved? Either by yourself or getting in touch with support?

I'm with a similar situation. My 3 year old TS1200 has been clicking a lot during reads/writes. I bought two new WD 4tb Reds with the intent of replacing them both since I don't know which drive is clicking. The plan is (was) to replace one, let the array rebuild, and then replace the other.

I replaced the first one and while it is indeed formatted, I can't select it in the array list in order to rebuild. The amber light is flashing 1 long, 2 short which indicates the array is in degraded condition. For the life of me I can't get the array to rebuild. I'm about ready to pull the new drive and try the second new drive in the hopes that maybe I received a bad new drive. But it -did- format.

I emailed support today via the website and it did accept my serial number.

EDIT: I should add that I've received emails from the TS1200 stating that Disk 1 in the target array has been rebuilt. "RAID array rebuild is complete.) Which is pretty impossible since a) it isn't, and b) the email was sent within minutes of the formatting being complete. As far as I can tell, the rebuild hasn't even started. And if it did, I expect it to take hours, not minutes. There's close to 1tb of data on the device.

EDIT 2: I just replaced the new drive with the other new drive. Still too soon to tell as it's still formatting, but I got an email from the device at 4:37 saying the raid array rebuild has started. And at 4:39 another email saying that the raid array rebuild is complete. Meanwhile the settings screen still says formatting disk and is showing the spinning circle.

EDIT 3: Same result with the second new drive as with the first. I pulled both new drives and set them aside and put in the original clicky one. The RAID page let me select the drive and rebuild the array and it's now done. And working. And clicking. I'd really like to get those reds installed because I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling with the clicking. Meanwhile, the TS1200 is now blinking 1 long, 8 short which means it's rebuilding. Which was complete about three minutes ago. <sigh>
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 04:28:40 PM by phred »