Author Topic: Very slow transfer rates for Linkstation Live CHL1CF 500 Gb - F/W 1.07  (Read 2507 times)

ckj007

• Calf

Hello,

I have been using this NAS drive for a few months and I could not figure how to speed up the transfers.

Transfer is slow when I download or upload files from my Mac (iMac 24 with Mac OS 10.5.8). I was thinking it was due to the wifi connexion between my Mac and the router on which my Linkstation is plugged (100 Mb).

I tried with a wired connexion between a notebook (with Mac OS 10.4.11) and the router but the speed was still very slow.

And now, I am simply moving (not copying) 6 Gb of large files from a shared folder of the linkstation to another shared folder : estimated time is about 3 hours. It is hard to understand as it is not involving any transfer from a machine to another.

The NAS HD is formated in XFS, with DLNA server and bittorrent server enabled (print server is disabled).

Time Machine service is up.

Shared folder support activated options are 'Windows', 'Mac' and 'FTP'.

Ethernet frame size is the default one (tried the other values with no success).

DHCP is enabled.

Has someone encountered the same issue ? If yes, did you solve it ?

Thanks a lot,

Best Regards,

Charles

DumbTechDude

• Tatanka
Re: Very slow transfer rates for Linkstation Live CHL1CF 500 Gb - F/W 1.07
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 11:08:49 AM »

If you are moving 6Gb large files from a shared folder to another shared folder either inside the Linkstation or to network attached drive via your iMac, you are copying with your computer acting as a host, which means that the files are transfered out of the Link station LAN to the iMac and then back to LAN of the Linkstation plus network traffic overhead created by your router or switches.  Unless you buy top equipment of routers and switches (Bestbuy don't usually sell top notch stuff!), your files will be moving very slow irregardless if you have a 100Mb or 1000Mb connection.  That's why most servers have an external USB port and a built-in Local Backup feature that allows copying files from one internal partitiion to another done internally.  This is the best and fastest option.

tomhaney

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 10:43:50 AM »

I had the same issue and was not satisfied with the time to move files-- all data down followed by all data up again.  The anwer was to use ftp.  Enable FTP.  Use Firefox with extension FireFTP ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/684 ).  FireFTP allows you to acheive the results of move via FTP.  Highlight the file or directory you want, right click and choose Cut.  Go to the directory you want to move the files into, right click > paste.  Results are instant.  I have the CHL.OTL_v5

tomhaney

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 05:48:09 PM »

I found an even better way to get nearly instant file move operations.  Boot your machine to Unbuntu linux.  Under the Home menu is an option for Network.  If the Buffalo is setup to do FTP, you can open the driver over FTP in the Linux file browser.  From there you can move files and directories extremely quickly.  I do have Samba installed and I'm not sure if it's required to do this.  Samba will allow you to browser the Buffalo using windows networking which works great for streaming video and audio.  FTP does not work well for stream.  To install Samba sudo apt-get install smbfs

Blutim

• Calf

Hi ans Thank You for the FTP tip, I have just purchased through work to test a LS-XHL and is a great device so far, however tried the same copy from one internal download folder i setup for Bittorret to a shared Media server folder and 45 mins on a 1Gb file !!!

Ill give FireFTP a try.

Cheers