Author Topic: External USB drive connected to LinkStation  (Read 7222 times)

rzunig1

• Calf
External USB drive connected to LinkStation
« on: March 18, 2009, 02:28:21 PM »

Hello, I have a Linkstation HD250LAN, and I have had, and enjoyed this unit for many years.  I decided to add an external USB hard drive to the rear usb port as it says in the manual, but it does not show up at all in the shared folder list, and I do have the "use the usb disk as a shared folder" enabled, and I rebooted the LinkStation, but it still does not recognize the drive.  The drive is formatted in NTFS, so does the LinkStation not recognize this type of file system?

I should add that under the "usb details" section, it does show the external drive information, but still no shared folder of any kind that points to the external drive.

Message Edited by rzunig1 on 03-18-2009 01:50 PM

JoshC

• Big Bull
Re: External USB drive connected to LinkStation
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 03:10:29 PM »
The file system on the Linkstation is XFS Linux based.  When you back up with a external usb is just backs up the linkstation itself.

rzunig1

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 04:56:05 PM »

Thanks, but my question still remains.

When I connect my usb external drive to my linkstation, the linkstation sees it, but I cannot see the external usb through the linkstation.  The manual says that as long as I have the feature enabled for the usb drive, I should see the external usb as another folder on linkstation, but I do not.  I'm not trying to use the external for any backup's, I'm just adding more space to the linkstation for storage.

Does anyone have any reason why I cannot access the external usb drive when it is connected to my linkstation?

I have an older, smaller external usb drive that I hooked up to the linkstation, and I was able to see it and access it just fine, but for some reason, my 500GB/usb/My Book external drive, is not accessible when it is connected to my linkstation.

Message Edited by rzunig1 on 03-18-2009 04:01 PM
Message Edited by rzunig1 on 03-18-2009 04:02 PM

tanjl

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 12:46:20 AM »

Hi,

What firmware are you using?

Are you able to try to link another harddrive, besides the mybook drive, to the Linkstation?

rzunig1

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 06:56:03 AM »

I am using firmware version 2.05, which I believe is the latest.  I cannot find anything on this site for my model any longer as it is discontinued.

And yes, I did have another drive that when connected, I was able to see it and access it through the linkstation.  I also have a printer installed via the other usb port (front), and it works fine as well.  It's just this "My Book" drive that does not show up for me to be able to access it when connected.  I no longer have the older usb drive to test with, but I have another one that is attached to my wife's laptop that I can hook up to the linkstation and see if it works.

The strange thing is that the linkstation can see the My Book drive, but it just does not want to share it with the network.  Hope that helps.

valley_nomad

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 01:15:37 AM »

In case you haven't noticed, the LS supports only FAT32 or XFS systems with its USB port.

You can format your USB HD via LS.

rzunig1

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 01:20:30 AM »

That was my original question.  Thanks for finally answering it!  It makes sense now.  BTW, where does it actually say that?  I saw nothing in the users guide that said which file system the LS supports, or that it only supports FAT32, and that was the first thing I looked for when I ran into the problem.

Your help is much appreciated.

mreuss

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 04:28:17 AM »

I ran into the same problem.  An external USB-disc which I inserted on the rear port doesn't show up, neither does a USB-stick (FAT32). Under USB-details those items are recognised, but I can't format them through the LS or do anything else with it.

Any suggestions ?