Author Topic: TeraStation and Ghost: can't see directories under shared folder  (Read 1429 times)

ITguy

• Calf
TeraStation and Ghost: can't see directories under shared folder
« on: November 19, 2009, 10:19:23 AM »

I am trying to backup my laptop to a Buffalo TeraStation using Norton Ghost 8.  There is one shared folder, named "share", defined on the TeraStation and there are no access restrictions.  My laptop and the TeraStation are both plugged into the same HP ProCurve 2524 switch.

The "share" directory on the TeraStation contains multiple subdirectories.  One of those is "Laptopbackup".  That directory contains a subdirectory for each user whose laptop will be backed up.

I boot my laptop into DOS from a Ghost boot disk.  I can issue a "net use g: \\Terastation\share" command but I can't go any lower in the directory.  For instance, "net use g: \\Terastation\share\laptopbackup" gives me an error.  So I just map to the "share" folder and start Ghost.  When selecting the destination for the backup, I can select the G: for the "share" folder, but I can't see the subdirectories in that folder, so I can't select Laptopbackup\username.

Do I need to set up additional shared folders?  I found my way into the TeraStation client and the "setup" browser interface.  I see the shared folder setup but no way to browse the directory tree to select folders. 

I'm not sure if any of this is the fault of the way I'm using the TeraStation or the way I'm using Ghost - I inherited this setup and am new to both.   Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Buffalo TeraStation
Model: HD-H1.0TGL/R5
Firmware: 2.16

Laptop:
Lenovo R61
Windows XP Pro SP3