Author Topic: DEbian on LS-WXL raid0 problems  (Read 2887 times)

sonicfifi75

• Calf
DEbian on LS-WXL raid0 problems
« on: September 14, 2020, 02:45:00 AM »
Hello friends

I have old  Buffalo LS-WXL and wanted to try Debian on it.

I found some procedures..and man its running great, but i can only make it work on 1 disk (non raid on raid buffalo).

When i try install Debian on raid0 ..itd f*** up..

Im not hardcore Linux user, but i can setup working raid0 on those disks, when i put em in linux pc.

Im stuck when I run installer via SSH .. i think my partitions / disk format is wrong.
Most guides state both disks need be idetical in partitions..
/dev/sda1 boot
/dev/sda1 root
/dev/sda1 swap
/dev/sda1 data
/dev/sda2 boot
/dev/sda2 root
/dev/sda2 swap
/dev/sda2 data
if i want raid0 how in earth do i assign md0 from SSH debian installer.. im lost (my lack of linux drives is prob the issue)

Any input welcome

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 02:46:31 AM by sonicfifi75 »

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: DEbian on LS-WXL raid0 problems
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 07:04:02 AM »
This site has some instructions/screenshots showing how to create raid arrays in the debian https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/SoftwareRaidRoot

I’d recommend sticking to raid1 for /boot,swap and root.

I recently added another method that skips the installer and generates a bootable disk image. The main caveat is you need to run it on a debian system:
https://github.com/1000001101000/Debian_on_Buffalo/wiki/Alternate-install-method-via-debootstrap-script

That process can handle the partitioning and main raid setup for you. The wiki page has instruction for then expanding to additional disks.

sonicfifi75

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 01:33:50 PM »
Hey

Thanks for links..i try look at debootstrap and come with result :)

sonicfifi75

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 04:03:39 PM »
This site has some instructions/screenshots showing how to create raid arrays in the debian https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/SoftwareRaidRoot

I’d recommend sticking to raid1 for /boot,swap and root.

I recently added another method that skips the installer and generates a bootable disk image. The main caveat is you need to run it on a debian system:
https://github.com/1000001101000/Debian_on_Buffalo/wiki/Alternate-install-method-via-debootstrap-script

That process can handle the partitioning and main raid setup for you. The wiki page has instruction for then expanding to additional disks.

it looks like it worked.. i got partitioned disks etc

but i think i corrupted firmware..it boots with 6 flashing leds

i can tftp to it.. should i use corresponding uImage.buffalo and initrd.buffalo from Buster installer images?

i tried use tftp and got device somewhat online. but cant ssh to it. connection refused

Or should I revert to stock and then run script on Linux pc?

Thanks in adwance
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 06:19:44 PM by sonicfifi75 »

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 09:50:03 PM »
6 blinks usually means the boot files were missing or invalid. I can think of a few reasons that would happen either by bad variables, some bug related to that model or some issue with writing the image.... or maybe having the drives in the wrong order I suppose.

You can certainly TFTP into the installer and run through the menu system to do your setup.

If you'd prefer try and trouble shoot the deboostrap method, open up an issue on the github page and post the out put of the script and the variables that you used.

sonicfifi75

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 01:11:11 AM »
I restored to stock since i was trying all kind of stuff (boot files/partitions etc)
Unit is running stock..so i try debootstrap later today.  :)

sonicfifi75

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 01:11:22 PM »
I restored to stock since i was trying all kind of stuff (boot files/partitions etc)
Unit is running stock..so i try debootstrap later today.  :)

Booted Live Linux and ran script.. kindda works. NAS can boot and i can SSH..but stuck atm ..cant contact apt-get server and raid is apparently not mounted (red blink code 14)

but kindda success :)

Not its running Debian..prob need finish / update apt-get etc.. apt-get update no luck

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 01:33:25 PM »
if you're getting blink codes you are most likely back in the stock firmware (possibly in EM Mode).

sonicfifi75

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 12:05:57 AM »
Im getting e14 raid array1 could not get mounted (nas navigator see device). Raid is visible but not formatted

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 09:00:45 AM »
You are clearly ending up back in the stock firmware. Could you post detail of the steps you're taking? we should be able to figure out where you're going wrong.