Author Topic: Windows 7 Home Premium connecting to Terastation HD-H1.OTGL\R5  (Read 11000 times)

sjohns6

• Calf
Windows 7 Home Premium connecting to Terastation HD-H1.OTGL\R5
« on: November 13, 2009, 08:16:35 PM »

I have a Terastation (not sure if firmware version since I can't get to unit anymore but I think it's 2.14).   I just installed WIndows 7 Home Premium and now can't get to TS.    I can enter a URL to the TS and it asks for authentication but never lets me in.     I have attempted to make change to the registry changing the LMCompatibilityLevel but can't find the key anywhere in the registry.   I have also tried to run secpol.msc.   When I run this, I get error message saying "MMC could not create the snap-in"    I'm running out of options and I can't restore many of my files.     Is there a fix?   What am I doing wrong?

I hope someone can help...

Thanks,

Scott

colin_thames

• Calf
Re: Windows 7 Home Premium connecting to Terastation HD-H1.OTGL\R5
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 04:54:58 AM »

Hi.

I remembered I had a similar problem with Vista Home Premium and my LinkStation but you're right in that Windows 7 Hom Premium doesn't have secpol or LMCompatibilityLevel key.  I've just upgraded to Win 7 and the problem has come back.  Basically you've got to create the key.

Try this link: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpronetworking/thread/ae1c6daf-d1d9-414f-84dc-f2761d9d9db5

I've just set it up on my own Win 7 Home Premium and will let you know if doesn't work after rebooting...

Good luck

Colin

hovering_yogi

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 10:34:59 AM »

I have recently upgraded to 2.14 and now have this issue too (I was trying to get my new Samsung TV to share a folder on the terastation)

Settting the LmCompatabilityLevel from 3 to 1 didnt seem to help any even after a couple of reboots and powering the Terastation off and on.

I now have a terastation that has the fan still running at maximum speed (even the upgrade finished ok) and that I can't connect to - I don't even get a logon box to try entering any details :mansad:

Were you succesfull when you made this change?

hovering_yogi

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 05:21:49 AM »

OK I lied, it was 2.16

Anyway I could ping the box but not FTP, and the client utility showed a firmware version of ------

I therefore re downloaded the update and applied it again and after a few errors (and remembering to turn of all firewalls and wireless to be certain it was using the cable connection) it said it was recovering and reapplying the update.

Got the update completed ok message again (like I did the first time) but this time switched back on the firewall and checked using the client utility which was this time showing 2,16 rather than ------

All seems ok now and can map a drive (although my lm... DWORD is set to 1 - I'm not going to change this back and not worried on security at this level and don't want to break it again!)

Now off to see if I can get the TV to see it without the PC being on - I don't hold out much hope :-(

Good luck everyone else.

Steve.

ContractorBob

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 07:47:43 PM »

I was having this problem as well.  I located this fix and it worked for me.

in regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\System\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\Lsa

the key you want is LmCompatibilityLevel - you may have to create it - it should be DW

set the value to 1

After reboot, authenticaion with Buffalo drives was fine.  Its some sort of version issues with the encryption.

Swut

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 01:15:50 PM »

ContractorBob's solution worked perfectly.

For those of you who are not familiar with regedit (like me) the following is how you add a key in windows 7 home premium [64 bit].

Once you have drilled down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\System\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\Lsa  click on LSA in the folders window (left).

Next click Edit \ New \ DWORD (32 bit) Value \

The new Dword is  LmCompatibilityLevel and the value is 1

groovejungle

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 01:28:55 AM »

This worked for me as well. . . now I can connect to my TeraStation with Windows 7. Buffalo's support tech didn't known/provide this info, but google found this thread. Thanks!

MPLSguru

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 04:19:26 AM »

after googling for a few hours since yesterday, i found a workaround to get a connection to my Terastation drive, and MAP Win7 Home Premium drives to my various shared volumes on my NAS.

a couple of 'solutions' that did not help included editing regedit creating a new key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\System\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\Lsa\ LmCompatibilityLevel with value 1 (also tried 2) each time rebooting. Did not help, i kept getting the login prompt which just would deny me access, even as root/admin of either win7 pc or NAS server admin account. Problem is with Microsoft's secpol or LMCompatibilityLevel key.

Next i tried simply \\192.168.xx.xx\share-name\ from the run command - still same authentication denial.

I found a document on another forum http://www.copyrunstart.net/unable-to-browse-to-buffalo-linkstation-in-windows-7/ which at first seemed a bit silly, but i decided to go and try it out.

Basically, on my Terastation, logged in via http and admin, I removed my newly created users (admin and guest are hard coded), then i tried to map my drives in win7 and had no problems at all, I was able to without having to supply credentials anymore (I also selected 'reconnect at logon')

I then recreated my users on my Terastation, and checked I still had my win7 drive mappings, still OK.  I rebooted my win7 a few times, still OK.

I then applied the shares/access restrictions to my 're-created'users I had previously, when I was experiencing the win7 drive mapping, and the drive mappings in win7 suddenly told me "access denied"....

I then created a new volume (share) on my Nas, and as long as there isnt any "access restrictions" set for the shares - you can map those drives too in win7. Problems start as soon as you set user access restrictions on the Nas shares, you can no longer access those drives via win7.

so you have to decide, if using win7:

a)if you want local access, using win7, on same subnet as your NAS - you cannot have shared volumes with access restriction set to users, you can have NAS specified users but these users will only access shared volumes that have NO access restriction

b)if you want protected webaccess to shared volumes set to specific users, these users wont be able to access their protected data whilst connected locally via a win7 pc

c)you can only access those restricted volumes locally by means of http i.e using a browser to locally access your data

I dont know that there is any other solution, i certainly have not found any other way than the above workaround.

this is a well known issue with Windows 7 Home Premium and Samba drives

see also http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpronetworking/thread/ae1c6daf-d1d9-414f-84dc-f2761d9d9db5

terafied

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 09:48:45 AM »

After spending several hours this weekend, I learned that I have the same problem with WIndows 7 Professional. I can invoke access restrictions and access the restricted shared folder using an XP (Pro) machine (with the password, etc.), but not with Windows 7 (Pro). My firmware is 1.12. I guess we're stuck with these boatanchors when it comes to protecting our shared folders. Any thoughts, ideas or siggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

mcchico

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 10:23:54 AM »

If You have problems connecting to the NAS with the following symptoms:
1) Under NETWORKS you can see and connect to otehr computers but not to your NAS
2) You had previosly mapped your NAS shares but now have an "X" and cannot connect

This is due to a program you installed (or a virus) that changed a few critical network setings in the registry.
I whished Microsoft would have never created a registry that other programs can write to it. It takes a LOT of work fix and figure out. IT took me 3 days searing the Internet to fit it.

I made 3 changes that worked ot restore my connections -- at least in my case

I made 3 changes to the registry (below) and created a REG file below that I can run to restore my connections quickly if it ever happens again.

Or Make Manually the changes to the Registry

=======================================

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
"LmCompatibilityLevel"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\NetBT\Parameters]
"DhcpNodeType"=dword:00000008

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\HwOrder]
"ProviderOrder"="RDPNP,LanmanWorkstation"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\Order]
"ProviderOrder"="RDPNP,LanmanWorkstation"

=======================================

terafied

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 12:16:08 PM »

Many thanks for the reply. This may give me a workaround to make this work. However, I just want to be sure I understand before I go into the Registry (which is like screwing around with your own DNA! :-) ). My inability to map the shared folder is only AFTER enabling Access Restriction (with password, etc.), and only affects my WIndows 7 Home Premium PCs, while my Windows XP Professional PC is still able to map the shared folder (with password entry, etc.)

Again, I have an early Buffalo TeraStation, model HD-H1.OTGL/R5, with firmware version 1.12. Thanks again for any more thoughts, suggestions, etc.

terafied

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 03:34:12 PM »

Apologies in advance if these are dumb questions but I have only edited a Registry maybe twice in my life.

First, I checked and found that my Windows Registry Editors on all my Windows 7 Professional machines are Version 6.1. Will this make a difference?

Second, I checked the current settings and they are as follows:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa] - no "LmCompatibilityLevel" value at this time.

Does this mean that "LmCompatibilityLevel"=dword:00000001 must be added as a new value?

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\NetBT\Parameters] - no ""DhcpNodeType"=dword:00000008" value at this time.

Does this mean that "DhcpNodeType"=dword:00000008 must be added as a new value?

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\HwOrder] is currently "RDPNP,LanmanWorkstation,webclient,LMIRfsClientNP".
Does this mean that it must be modified to "ProviderOrder"="RDPNP,LanmanWorkstation"?

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\Order] is currently "RDPNP,LanmanWorkstation,webclient,LMIRfsClientNP".
Does this mean that it must be modified to "ProviderOrder"="RDPNP,LanmanWorkstation"?

Many thanks again.