Author Topic: Link Station Live Not Accessible After Power Outage  (Read 7895 times)

garonson

• Calf
Re: Link Station Live Not Accessible After Power Outage
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »

thanks for the input. i don't have bootcamp. i did have the beta, but it stopped working a long time ago and i got parallels. i had no problem accessing the files on the nas from osx until a power outage last week. as for admin since there is none for osx i always did it via internet. i think the nas got bricked during the power outage. i've tried nasnavi for osx and it can't see it. i've also tried everything available on parallels but absolutely nothing worked. i change the perameter you mentioned and the device is simply not visible. now all i want to do is get the data i backed up from the nas to a usb drive off the usb drive. however, when i plug that into my mac's usb port, it doesn't appear. i tried on the parallels side and used a utility to be able to access xsf.  that allowed me to see the drive, however the format show up as RAW. so i got another utility that allowed me to recover files from screwed up drives. all the files on my drive show up with names such as unknown0001. doc, or xls, or pdf, etc. i recovered one and the data in the file looks fine, however having to open every file on the disk and rename and resave it would take me until the next millenium. i'm wondering if i buy a new nas and attach the usb drive if the files will appear as there were before the power failure. i'm doubtful b/c the format shows up as RAW and i think it should be XSF. sorry for the long winded reply. glad you got yours working again.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 02:43:37 PM »

I want you to update the firmware from a PC that is directly connected to the switch/router that the LS is connected to.

apaschou

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 03:29:41 PM »

Hi,

We are **bleep** station failed, I know I would easily read my disc using linux. Additionnally, I realized that there was absoluetly no XFS support from OS X. And this is what I did: I installed ubuntu (in emulation on the mac, always using VMWare). With ubuntu installed, the ext3 USB disc was recognised and I could access the content.

I couldn't test with XFS disc with my Ubuntu emulation as I didn't have any more a USB disc XFS formated... The XFS is officially supported under linux, but I cannot tell you if it will mount automatically of if you will need to mount it by command line.

From Windows, the issue is the same... all these proprietary OSs have very limited understanding of non-native disc format.

So one solution that should work:

1) Download VMware **bleep**)

2) Install a appliance of Linux (I used Ubuntu desktop)

3) Connect the USB disc and start linux in emulation

I did the same except that I had a real version of VMware **bleep** also for you.

Maybe is parallel supporting and providing linux emulation (I never tried parallel) ?

Other solution: ask a linux-installed PC to a friend (or find an old machine to install ubuntu or other distribution of linux).

In any case, concerning the **bleep** station at all is very strange...

If you buy a new NAS that support XFS disc in USB (important detail to check...), you should then be able to get access to you data again. You just need to think creating a shared **bleep** that the fan is starting as expected?

I hope this helps.

erdingtown

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 04:09:02 AM »

Same exact think happend to me. I see 954 gb of raw data. I have been unable to read it. What utility did you use?

garonson

• Calf
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 07:49:25 AM »

i ultimately downloaded ubuntu and burned it onto a cd. then i booted my mac from that disk and was able to access the files b/c linux supports xfs which is what the usb drive is formatted with.  before i did that, i booted into parallels and installed free utilites the names of which i can't remember at the moment. one allowed me to see the disk and the other to access the files on it. the problem with this solution was it was seeing the data in RAW format, so all the information, such as the name of the file, the date, size, etc. was not visible. all the files had names like 0000900503.doc or 001900000.pdf, so i would've had to open each one to see what it was and rename it. also the directory structure wasn't there. it was just a big list of files. the good news is that the data inside the files was intact. so if ubuntu didn't work i could've recovered my files, it just would've taken a looooonngggg time. if you need the names of the windows utilitles let me know and i'll get them for you. however i recommend you try ubuntu.