Author Topic: Any other possible explanations for loss of data...  (Read 1512 times)

aroymak

• Calf
Any other possible explanations for loss of data...
« on: November 11, 2009, 02:57:15 PM »

Hi everybody, 

I tried to follow the posting guidelines/FAQ.  I searched "Drivestation", "CEU", "Drivestation not formatted", among others, but didn't see anything that helped.

I have a  Drivestation TurboUSB thingie HD-CEU 500 GB.  The firmware is original from 2006, so probably revision 1(?). 

The two computers (work and home) I was using the CEU to back up were fairly standard off the shell Dell computers with Windows XP, no fancy add-ons or customiziations.

Anyway, I used the drive to back up my work computer, but only plugging it in when needed.  Always used the "Stop" function before unplugging it.  Overall the first two years were pretty uneventful and the HD was used somewhat sparingly in frequency (once a week) and in storage (only about 20-30 GBs).  When I changed jobs at the beginning of 2009, I brought the HD back home and plugged it in the home computer.  I pretty much left it plugged in for four or five months (kept getting the Memeo error messages about file size too big or file name too long... not too big an issue, figured it out re: FAT32 vs. NTFS), and eventually instead of dealing with the Memeo crap, I unplugged the HD and suspended Memeo.  Sometime in June this year, I plugged the HD back in, and now there appears to be NO data on the drive.  In fact, it is requesting that I format the drive again.  Every computer I've plugged the HD into seems to recognize it, but it warns that the drive is unformatted.

My question is has anybody had any experience with the drive just plain "resetting" itself?  I don't know where my data went... it's like the drive formatted itself or something.  Over 2009 we probably had a handful of power outages, OK maybe even a power surge, and the drive did take a somewhat nasty dive of the desk one time... which might have done it, but I would guess the drive would not work at all, not just "reset" itself.

Anyway to me it's all very weird.  There is a slight possibility that someone (i.e. wife) accidentally OK'd a re-format request, but quite honestly I don't think she even knew it was there (as the G drive).

Anybody have any thoughts?  TIA.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: Any other possible explanations for loss of data...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 03:26:30 PM »

It sounds like it could be file corruption.  If that is the case then the only option is to reformat or contact a 3rd party data recovery company.