Author Topic: Drivestation Duo W1.0TIU2/R1EU: new HDDs  (Read 1034 times)

Eamoex

• Calf
Drivestation Duo W1.0TIU2/R1EU: new HDDs
« on: August 20, 2020, 11:31:35 AM »
Hello,

I've updated my old and trusty Drivestation Duo W1.0TIU2/R1EU with two brand new 1TB drives. I've always used this Drivestation in RAID1 Mirror mode.

I can see the 1TB drive, I've formatted it and it seems to work fine, but the RAID Setup Utility, be it from the original CD or from the support section of the website, is NOT willing to work on Win10 (it cannot see the Drivestation) and there is no physical switch (AFAIK) on the unit to tell it how to operate.

How can I tell that it's really working in RAID1 mode, and that my data is actually mirrored?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 10:22:38 AM by Eamoex »

Eamoex

• Calf
Re: Drivestation Duo W1.0TIU2/R1EU: new HDDs
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 07:19:46 AM »
Okay I've taken the actions I thought this forum would spare me. Wrote a few files on the Drivestation, pulled the hard drives out one after the other, and read them individually on another controller. This test has confirmed the Drivestation still works in RAID1 Mirror mode.

So to anyone with this question: upgrading the RAID1-configured Drivestation to larger capacity HDDs, and then formatting the (only visible - to Win10 - drive from the) Drivestation will keep the Drivestation in that RAID1 mode.

I am not talking about extending an existing array in size. I don't think this is possible. As I'm writing, Win10 is proceeding to copy the whole 488 GB from one of the disks out of the previous array to the new, 1TB mirrored drives in the Drivestation.

EDIT: Google captcha for every post is a real pain. Plus I hate unpaid work for Google.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 07:21:22 AM by Eamoex »