Author Topic: Linkstation constantly disconnects from network  (Read 15037 times)

yupyupman

• Calf
Linkstation constantly disconnects from network
« on: November 12, 2008, 02:15:18 AM »

I have a Linkstation EZ 500GB LS-L500GL connected through a Netgear WNR854T RangeMax Next Wireless-N Router Gigabit Edition.  I have one PC hardwired to the router, and 2 wireless laptops.  All three computers run Kaspersky.

I am on my second Linkstation.  The first one worked great for about 2 weeks, plugged it in, installed the software and all 3 computers worked flawlessly.  At about 2 weeks, it disconnected from all 3 computers at the same time.  The only way to reconnect is to unplug the power and ethernet cable, then plug back in, which 50% of the time does not work, the other 50% of the time may work anywhere from a few minutes to 1 day.  I cannot map the network drive upon finding out it has disconnected - I have to unplug/reboot first.  Buffalo had me send it back for a new one.

The new one worked for 2 or 3 days before disconnecting all over again in the same exact manner.   

This is driving me nuts.  I am a beginner in regards to anything other than simple fixes.  Your help is greatly appreciated, and I apologize if this solution is on another thread that I didn't see.

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Linkstation constantly disconnects from network
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 11:18:57 AM »

Go to buffalotech.com

under support you will find the download section.

from here you can download the new firmware 

yupyupman

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 09:30:01 PM »

Thank you.  I downloaded the update, then unplugged/rebooted the Linkstation so the updater could find the unit.  It is currently still connected, however I don't know if that is due to the reboot or the firmware update.

I'll monitor it over the next few days and give an update.

Thank you for your help.

yupyupman

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 09:43:44 AM »
   This morning at 5am, the Linkstation did it's scheduled backup (through SyncBack), then for whatever reason shut off.  It's back on now and connected.  Will continue to monitor and report back.

rekall

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »

having the same problem as of yesterday; unit in service only about two weeks.

i'll try the firmware update as well.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 01:22:11 PM »
It sounds like there's something else going on. Check different power outlets, and try resetting the device to defaults.

yupyupman

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 05:50:33 PM »

Update - I left it alone for a couple of weeks.  Last week pulled the plug, reboot, and it has been working flawlessly over 2 computers for the past week.  This has happened before where it works for a couple week stretch then stops, so I'll keep you updated.

rekall

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 12:50:08 AM »

firmware updater reported i already have the latest firmware which i confirmed on my linkstation's admin screen - 1.02 ...

but following a hunch i had earlier, i've set the power from Auto to On and
haven't had problems today connecting/reconnecting.

yupyupman

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 09:32:35 AM »
   This may sound really newbie, but how do I switch the power from auto to on?

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 11:06:36 AM »
Some of the buffalo devices have an auto/manual switch in the back.

yupyupman

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 11:13:47 AM »

Mine has only power button, reset, and a "lock" icon.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 08:31:14 AM »
what is the model number and firmware version that you have?

yupyupman

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 10:37:03 AM »

It's the Linkstation EZ 500gb NAS.  I have the most updated firmware.

Ironically this morning my scheduled sync did not happen....the network drive cannot be found.  I'll have to do another unplug/reboot.  Very annoying.

toygts

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 04:07:45 PM »

it may sound like a network issue, pulling ip via dhcp.  2 weeks sounds like the ip lease expires and is released.  try assigning the ip manually, using the ip it received when you first installed the software.  it may also fix the syncing issue if the backup software is configured by ip and not my device name.

doesnt hurt to try, please post what happens

soohoos

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 11:43:21 PM »

I am having the same problem with my LS-WX1.0TL/1D.  It seems to disconnect from the network after about an hour, and the only way to get it back on is to reset the power.  I have a static IP address assigned, so not getting a DHCP lease should not be a problem.   The problem happens with Windows XP Pro, Vista, and Windows 7, so it's not an OS issue.  Also, when the linkstation is in this state it does not respond with the NAS Navigator 2, nor does it respond when I point my brower directly to it's IP address.  The linkstation is about 2 months old, and while I cannot be certain, I think the problem just started happning.  It't connected to my network via a Cisco switch and is running firmware version 1.30.  I thought about upgrading to the latest, but the release notes do not mention anything about this problem, so I am holding off on the firmware for now.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.