Author Topic: Host computer cannot access Linkstation with Explorer, but VM can  (Read 1453 times)

habz

• Calf
I have a Linkstation LS420D.  When originally installed, I had no problems reaching it.  At some point in time which I can't identify, (possibly tied to installing virtual machine software, but otherwise I can't figure it out) I no longer could access the NAS or see it on the network in Windows Explorer from my PC. 

In troubleshooting, I am able to access it in NAS Navigator2
and via a browser to get to the settings
and the NAS does show up in Windows Explorer under Media Devices however it cannot be played. Right click on it and "Open Media Player" is not in the menu.
I have a virtual machine hosted on the same PC.  The VM can see the NAS in Windows Explorer and works as expected in every way.
Firewalls are off on both host and VM.  Network settings appear to be the same.

I have 2 computers.  BOTH of them have this problem where they cannot see the NAS on the network in Windows Explorer, but the VMs running on them can.  This was happening under Windows 7 and Windows 10.  This was happening when the VMs were running VMWare player and continues now that I have switched to use VirtualBox.  Any ideas on troubleshooting this would be appreciated.

I have confirmed the firmware is on the latest (1.86).

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: Host computer cannot access Linkstation with Explorer, but VM can
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 08:37:12 AM »
This is typically because the NAS is only using SMB1 and the PCs have SMB1 disabled. Sometime in the recent past this became the default for Windows 7/10, I assume your VMs didn't get that change for some reason. For this model I believe you are able to enable SMB2 in the settings which should resolve the issue. It is also possible to re-enable SMB1 in windows but this is not recommended for security reasons.

If you'd like you can also replace the stock firmware with Debian Linux which includes a newer version of Samba that supports modern versions of SMB but it does require some Linux knowledge to get up and running. Installer files and information can be found here:
https://github.com/1000001101000/Debian_on_Buffalo

habz

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 12:55:24 AM »
Progress. Thanks.  Here is what I found:
First I tried enabling SMB1 on my PC and rebooted.  Result: I was now able to access the NAS properly.
Then I opened the NAS configuration and while SMB was enabled, It only showed the detail that SMB2 was disabled by clicking on the details.
I enabled SMB2 on the NAS and rebooted it.  It continued to be accessible.
I went back and disabled SMB1 on my PC and rebooted.  NAS was no longer reachable in Windows Explorer.

So it appears that the SMB2 setting on the NAS doesn't work.  The NAS is only accessible with SMB1 enabled.
I'm not yet savvy on Linux yet, so I'm not comfortable taking that on alone.  I might get a friend to help with that if I can't get it working otherwise.
I'm not ready to expose vulnerabilities to my PC if I can avoid it.
We certainly are onto the root of the issue.  Any other ideas?
(also, both of the VMs in question happen to be Win7 which would explain why they didn't get smb1 disabled.)

jrjong

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 07:27:16 AM »
This is typically because the NAS is only using SMB1 and the PCs have SMB1 disabled. Sometime in the recent past this became the default for Windows 7/10, I assume your VMs didn't get that change for some reason. For this model I believe you are able to enable SMB2 in the settings which should resolve the aol mail login issue. It is also possible to re-enable SMB1 in windows but this is not recommended for security reasons.
If you'd like you can also replace the stock firmware with Debian Linux which includes a newer version of Samba that supports modern versions of SMB but it does require some Linux knowledge to get up and running. Installer files and information can be found here:
https://github.com/1000001101000/Debian_on_Buffalo
Thanks for the help Debian.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 10:25:39 AM by jrjong »

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 11:03:36 AM »
I believe I've seen posts reporting they had trouble enabling SMB2 before. I think some combintation of rebooting and repeating the steps to enable it might have worked.

habz

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 12:56:45 PM »
Further progress! Thanks
I can now open the NAS if I open NAS Navigator2 and click Browse (or type \\nasname in Windows Explorer address bar).  If just doesn't show up as a network device if I open Windows Explorer.
I think there were others reporting similar behavior, but I don't see a resolution in the thread I found.

https://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=25133.msg90062#msg90062

I can accept manually typing in \\nasname  in the address bar of Windows Explorer, but it would be preferable to have the device discovered properly in Win Explorer.
Any ideas?

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 02:20:14 PM »
Microsoft changed the way devices are discovered/displayed in Windows Explorer, I'm afraid there's nothing you can change on the LinkStation to affect it.